Way Huge Camel Toe Configurations...

Fingolfen

Ahhh... Way Huge pedal names...

Anyway, I've gotten a request and I'm looking at the history of the pedal. It looks like the original version combined the Red Llama and the original Green Rhino (pre-100Hz and Curve controls) into a single unit, but also had an interesting series / parallel toggle. Does anyone know how that was wired? Any boards schematics of the original Green Rhino? The AionFX one appears to be the second iteration (though not the current iteration) of the circuit.

There also seems to be a later version of the combo pedal, this time with the current iteration of the Green Rhino (100Hz and 500Hz knobs), but the Red Llama side seems to have an added knob (Tone in some iterations, though I swear I've seen at least one copy with one labeled in a different way). Does that version have any additional wrinkles I'd need to be aware of from a DIY standpoint?

I had an eye on a used one on Ebay Kleinanzeigen in Germany.

What bugs me: i am not sure of the stacking order. The descripted order seems to be the Llama into the Rhino. I prefer other way.

Last edited:
Too bad the ELS Heartbreaker isn't still available.

Not a clone of the Camel Toe, but was inspired by it:

"The HEARTBREAKER is dual overdrive circuit using a single CD4049UBE. It’s designed to emulate the Way Huge® Camel Toe™and is half Llama, half Screamer(ish). It will fit in a 125B enclosure with the pots board mounted, but will also work in a 1590BB with the pots wired off board.

The HEARTBREAKER OVERDRIVE came about from wondering what to do with the extra hex inverters in a CD4049 in a Way Huge® Red LlamaTM. Then I remembered that half the Way Huge® Camel ToeTM is a Red LlamaTM, so I figured I’d use the other 4 inverters to emulate a Tube Screamer. Run Off Groove has a CD4049-based Tube Screamer project, which I used as a starting point to create the HEARTBREAKER–a half Llama, half Screamer(ish) dual overdrive. The name comes from Mike Campbell often using a Camel Toe, and being a Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers fan, it seems like a good fit. The HEARTBREAKER is designed to fit in a 125B enclosure with the footswitches and pots board mounted, but if you’ve got clown feet want more space, it will fit in a 1590BB as well."​

Heck if he had an etch pattern I'd roll my own, but I don't see it on the blog either. Do you have a circuit diagram???
Build docs are still up at Storyboardist's library, which version do you want? PDFs...

The first love. Horizontal 1590BB

Heartbroken again. Vertical 1590N1

I wish I'd snagged that V2, even though I'm coming to realise dual footswitches need to be at least on a vertical 1590BB for me — the best compromise between functionality and saving space on the pedalboard (not that it matters now, but I'd like to gig again).

I got mine working with two separate boards, two separate on/off stomps, a six way toggle for clipping for the tube screamer, and series/parallel. BUT, the series/parallel works, cuts the gain, but isn't super blendable and oscillates in one setting - so if you can figure that out better than me, more power to you!

I would go rhino into llama - it's always sounded better. When I only use the llama side, it sounds weird into ts style pedals. Green rhino is just a slightly tweaked TS with an LF353 opamp. I think if you search for red llama and tone control, you'll find plenty of links to people who added a tone control to their llamas (weirdos).

So, long winded post, but good luck!

Back