What's on the workbench?

Ok, so the Fuzz Face was a round pedal, so you can argue whether or not it had top-mount jacks, but I could argue if it even had a top. The EHX Big Muff clearly had both, and the Rat was the odd ball with top mount jacks. Point is that we all (at least those of a certain age) grew up with side jacks.

Disclaimer: These are mostly just my opinions, which means you should take them as COLD HARD FACTS.

1) Ain't nothin wrong with white washers. There are designs where they fit cosmetically, just like anything else.

2) I'm not a fan of side jacks but sometimes I wish I was.... it'd sure make layouts easier and would make signal flow more efficient by reducing the long runs of wire running up to the jacks.

3) I'm pretty sure all of the early Wampler pedals used labels. After all, Brian started off as a forum DIY'er like many others.

4) Over on the MLP forums we used to call those "thumb-cutters". :ROFLMAO:
I'd rather see the anti-rotation washer than the star washer on the footswitch.... or "barefoot buttons"...
1710984961010.png

6) No explanation necessary
dsc_6353_1024x1024-1.jpeg

7) I sure do appreciate outie jacks when it comes time to pull one out of the enclosure... Especially when builders insist on wrapping the wire through the lugs before soldering.

Let’s see…
  1. White washer
  2. Side jacks
  3. Sticker instead of decal
  4. Anti-rotation washer on outside of toggle switch
  5. Presence label like 2 inches away from toggle
  6. Font? (I don’t mind it, but it’s not a great font)
  7. Outie power jack (again not a big issue to me, but they're ugly)
Ugh, clearly whoever built that pedal isn’t going anywhere in this business

(Sidebar I’m team outie Jack til the day I die)

I'm going to have to agree with Monk on this one....

A 'Muff is only a 'Muff if it's in a big oversized bent steel enclosure with a crappy 1/8" headphone power jack.

I know this is going to be a very unpopular statement.... but a real 'Muff ain't green either. There I said it. :ROFLMAO:

I'm going to have to agree with Monk on this one....

A 'Muff is only a 'Muff if it's in a big oversized bent steel enclosure with a crappy 1/8" headphone power jack.

I know this is going to be a very unpopular statement.... but a real 'Muff ain't green either. There I said it. :ROFLMAO:
You can say what you will Robert, but I can read. The box says Big Muff. It even has the symbol and everything, and most importantly it has the side jacks. I'm not stupid. Plus I know what a real muff is. I am experienced. I've seen them before.

Jacks are on the side because it's for bass players. They had to keep it simple for them because there's already more than 4 of something.
+ There's only 2-3 pedals on their board anyway.
(JK)
Ok, I'm a bass player, but I do respect every inch of my pedal board. Not saying that I'm not a fan of top mounted jacks, but I'm also not critical of those who use side jacks either.

Back