NSFW What's up with the buffers in cornish designs?

What do you guys think about that?

Capitalism will capitalize. If economic theories are true, those businesses that can't compete in the market will disappear anyway. There are definitely a bunch of pedal companies that I just don't see how they get good ratings or even keep afloat given my own experiences with them, but obviously they are doing something right, even if it's just aesthetics, marketing or starting their business at a lucky time which gave them crazy brand loyalty.

I wouldn't go as far as say that honesty has no place in the market, but it's easy enough to lie and conceal BS marketing statements in the mythical world of guitar tones. Guitarists more often then not DON'T listen with their ears is the problem though, which is why many of us complain about marketing BS, overpriced pedals and circuits that are lame or overdesigned.

Anyway, on the topic of attitude... Why would I not utter my opinion on a circuit online with fellow nerds who also build these pedals because they don't feel like it's worth to just buy them? Hell, sometimes I'm waiting for the schematics just so I see whether the circuit even looks exciting enough to build. 😂
At this point we had like 30-40 years of YATS and JAM, dozens of Timmy variants, Bluesbreakers/King of Tones (Kings of Tone?), etc etc., it's hard not to be cynical like this.

One thing I've learned from having a budding side gig in selling pedals is that it's HARD to design (not necessarily talking about the actual circuit here) something from board to box and charge a fair price while also not doing it at a loss or simply breaking even.

Designing a circuit that sounds okay isn't hard, but designing something that isn't completely redundant nowadays not so much.

It's hard to break even with fair priced "boutique" pedals (I'd say below 200$ these days) as long you're making small quantities and hand solder your components (especially if you have like 50+ components on the main PCB alone). Bulk discounts and preassembly save tons of money and time respectively. The more pedals you can churn out and sell off, the more profit you'll make.

Even the "medium-small and part-time builders" these days do SMD assembly on even the smallest of circuits and mainly seem to focus on aesthetic, marketing and getting the units out for demos. Listen to some podcasts, the guys will rave about how they reduce any manual labor time to an absolute minimum and sometimes even automate QC testing.

Can't imagine profit margins being all too small if you can afford to get demos made by 5 big Youtube demoers, which can be several hundreds or thousands of bucks. Poison Noises even said his friend wanted to start a business for the most part when figuring out how much profit you can make on pedals.

I've always wondered what it would cost to get a demo from Pete Thorn or Andy Martin. If they demo a pedal you know it's something that has a budget behind it.

I've always wondered what it would cost to get a demo from Pete Thorn or Andy Martin. If they demo a pedal you know it's something that has a budget behind it.

You'd be surprised. Sometimes free gear is all it takes.

People want you to give them free shit. It's one of the first lessons I've learned. They will gladly exchange demos for free shit.

I've taken a different approach: Mainly giving pedals to people I have interacted with on here and TGP, who I know will:

a.) Appreciate it and use it;

b.) Run it through gear like Vintage Hiwatts and other stuff like that.

Some smaller channels do demos for a free pedal and do a serviceable job, but often it's just 2-3 loops and fiddling with the knobs. That's the guys with like up to 1-5K subscribers. Any guys above around and above 50K I'd say expect around 500-1000 bucks or more from what I've heard from people in the business.

The guys you want to demo the pedal so it REALLY sells won't do it for a free pedal, that's for sure.

Some smaller channels do demos for a free pedal and do a serviceable job, but often it's just 2-3 loops and fiddling with the knobs. That's the guys with like up to 1-5K subscribers. Any guys above around and above 50K I'd say expect around 500-1000 bucks or more from what I've heard from people in the business.
I’m kinda surprised it’s that relatively cheap, considering the bigger channels usually compose and produce a decent chunk of original music and shoot and edit a decent chunk of original video for your SponCon (and Andy Martin’ll even rewrite your ad copy).

Like when I was doing freelance multimedia work for like a company’s internal use only, I could ask almost that much for 15mins of content, and I was a nobody in my local market.

I’m kinda surprised it’s that relatively cheap, considering the bigger channels usually compose and produce a decent chunk of original music and shoot and edit a decent chunk of original video for your SponCon (and Andy Martin’ll even rewrite your ad copy).
I wonder if it is related to claiming taxes. Maybe it makes it simpler this way

Like when I was doing freelance multimedia work for like a company’s internal use only, I could ask almost that much for 15mins of content, and I was a nobody in my local market.
It's probably a low estimate and really depends on the Youtuber. Not all of them state their prices, but for example Andy Ferris (Guitar Geek) does on his website. Pretty sure Andy Martins, Ola Englund or somebody with similar status costs you quite a bit more.

I think that's a very cynical view of things.
Which part? I’m not trying to be cynical here, but maybe I phrased things too harshly? What I mean is that the circuit design is not something that the end consumer really cares about so pedal companies are not incentivized to care either. As many expressed in this thread, the average pedal buyer judges with their eyes more than ears. But maybe that’s just part of capitalism? Or maybe it’s just people being people and has nothing to do with the economic system we live in?

Which part? I’m not trying to be cynical here, but maybe I phrased things too harshly? What I mean is that the circuit design is not something that the end consumer really cares about so pedal companies are not incentivized to care either. As many expressed in this thread, the average pedal buyer judges with their eyes more than ears. But maybe that’s just part of capitalism? Or maybe it’s just people being people and has nothing to do with the economic system we live in?

I didn't take what you said as cynical, but mostly because I'm always cynical by nature.

I look at it like this:

1.) I think being candid about your "designs" is important. I am currently building Fuzz Faces. I don't market it as anything other than a modernized Fuzz Face. My contribution, and I'm careful to make this clear to people, is the integrated buffer. Stuff like relay switching, grounding, etc. is not novel. I agree that some add copy is ridiculous, as my Chase Tone rants make explicit, but I also don't think there is anything nefarious about talking your stuff up if that's what you choose to do. Marketing and all it's excesses and shortcomings is as American as Apple Pie. It's a tough market and sometimes creative writing is as good a skill as your technical abilities for giving you that extra edge. It's a packed market, i.e. you don't have to agree but "don't hate the player, hate the game..."

2.) Many consumers don't care about how things look, inside or out, but many do care. Frankly, as much as we may dislike something like 29 Pedals enclosures (I personally think they look great and as someone trying to also make good looking things, I get it...), the aesthetic package of a pedal is important to the overall worth attached to it. Making things look nice costs money. Full Stop. Can't hate on that. You may disagree, but not everyone wants something in a generic enclosure, no matter what your personal preferences may be.

3.) People generally ALWAYS want something for nothing if they can get it, so it's tough when you have to assign a value to something like your build time, because it drives up the cost and does not reflect itself in anything visible or tangible to the consumer. Yet, it is important for that value to be based on what you think your time is worth. Frankly, this is the value that translates to profit. I'd argue it IS your profit margin.

4.) One thing I find interesting is that DIY folks, of which I include myself since 2008, respect and appreciate aesthetic qualities and supreme build quality, EXCEPT, it seems, for when that then translates over to the commercial realm. This is not always true by any means and as a community we DO find unsavory things and bad designs from time to time. With that said, it seems like too easy a leap to get the lynch mob together every single time we find out that new hot shit overdrive is YATS. Not every builder is trying to fleece someone or pull the wool over people's eyes. You have to take into consideration that they might ACTUALLY think those changes they made make a difference.

5.) A big part of turning making pedals into a side gig is the eventual uneasy moment when you have to decide how much money you want to make off of a device. This is a real wake up call. You have all these ideas and goals and once you crunch those first numbers you get a rude awakening. I changed my prices a number of times trying to maximize my net profit per unit while also trying not to take advantage of anyone. It's super tough. This is why I am changing my tune toward preaching empathy toward builders. I have the luxury of not having to make a living off of this, and you can argue it IS a bad business to get into full-time and that's their own damn fault, but you can also try and understand the many moving parts that go into it.

6.) I DO NOT have any beef against tracing circuits. Far from it as I have benefitted greatly from the community. Having said that, I DO try to "walk a mile in someone else's Moccasins" and understand WHY people get bent out of shape about it. I personally have nothing to fear. If someone were to trace a Pompeii and see my buffer, they'd be underwhelmed and I'd be relieved.

Whenever I see discussions like this, I wonder if we are all just complaining about how capitalism works. There are no rules in the free market and we all know that private companies’ only goal is to make money and squeeze as much out of customers as they can. Intellectual honesty and integrity have no place in private industries I’m afraid (I don’t want to give examples because I don’t want this to turn political :)).

What do you guys think about that?

Yeah it was worded quite strictly. Private companies are not only trying to make money, and 29 pedals is a great example of that, even. If they were, they'd make the power side much simpler and use a cheaper enclosure and transfer all that cost to profit. Intellectual honesty and integrity do matter, too - whether it's enough to make a real impact is a different thing, but at least Fulltone is a good example that the free market is not just a perfect automaton system where values do not matter (it's a bit unclear to me whether they actually closed down for good or not, but at the very least their operation was disturbed).
I didn't take what you said as cynical, but mostly because I'm always cynical by nature.

I look at it like this:

1.) I think being candid about your "designs" is important. I am currently building Fuzz Faces. I don't market it as anything other than a modernized Fuzz Face. My contribution, and I'm careful to make this clear to people, is the integrated buffer. Stuff like relay switching, grounding, etc. is not novel. I agree that some add copy is ridiculous, as my Chase Tone rants make explicit, but I also don't think there is anything nefarious about talking your stuff up if that's what you choose to do. Marketing and all it's excesses and shortcomings is as American as Apple Pie. It's a tough market and sometimes creative writing is as good a skill as your technical abilities for giving you that extra edge. It's a packed market, i.e. you don't have to agree but "don't hate the player, hate the game..."

2.) Many consumers don't care about how things look, inside or out, but many do care. Frankly, as much as we may dislike something like 29 Pedals enclosures (I personally think they look great and as someone trying to also make good looking things, I get it...), the aesthetic package of a pedal is important to the overall worth attached to it. Making things look nice costs money. Full Stop. Can't hate on that. You may disagree, but not everyone wants something in a generic enclosure, no matter what your personal preferences may be.

3.) People generally ALWAYS want something for nothing if they can get it, so it's tough when you have to assign a value to something like your build time, because it drives up the cost and does not reflect itself in anything visible or tangible to the consumer. Yet, it is important for that value to be based on what you think your time is worth. Frankly, this is the value that translates to profit. I'd argue it IS your profit margin.

4.) One thing I find interesting is that DIY folks, of which I include myself since 2008, respect and appreciate aesthetic qualities and supreme build quality, EXCEPT, it seems, for when that then translates over to the commercial realm. This is not always true by any means and as a community we DO find unsavory things and bad designs from time to time. With that said, it seems like too easy a leap to get the lynch mob together every single time we find out that new hot shit overdrive is YATS. Not every builder is trying to fleece someone or pull the wool over people's eyes. You have to take into consideration that they might ACTUALLY think those changes they made make a difference.

5.) A big part of turning making pedals into a side gig is the eventual uneasy moment when you have to decide how much money you want to make off of a device. This is a real wake up call. You have all these ideas and goals and once you crunch those first numbers you get a rude awakening. I changed my prices a number of times trying to maximize my net profit per unit while also trying not to take advantage of anyone. It's super tough. This is why I am changing my tune toward preaching empathy toward builders. I have the luxury of not having to make a living off of this, and you can argue it IS a bad business to get into full-time and that's their own damn fault, but you can also try and understand the many moving parts that go into it.

6.) I DO NOT have any beef against tracing circuits. Far from it as I have benefitted greatly from the community. Having said that, I DO try to "walk a mile in someone else's Moccasins" and understand WHY people get bent out of shape about it. I personally have nothing to fear. If someone were to trace a Pompeii and see my buffer, they'd be underwhelmed and I'd be relieved.
I understand where you're coming from but I just feel like you're leaning too much on the side of the builders while exaggerating the criticism pedals receive (yes, there might be one or two people bashing a YATS pedal and not many exited people, but there's a lot of people who visit this forum and this market is much less enthusiastic about new things that are not radically different, for obvious reasons). I haven't seen lynch mobs unless someone is blatantly lying, or for people who charge $800 for a basic fuzz face, which is pretty much the same as blatantly lying IMO.

For the EUNA specifically, I can understand wanting a nice looking enclosure (which is expensive), and an unnecessary power supply (which is expensive) for a glorified buffer, but that means you're basically selling a status symbol for guitar nerds.

I would guess the strong counter reaction to his reaction to tracing is because of this. Why is he so afraid of tracing when he's selling what's practically a status symbol? Is it because he thinks or knows that people actually want a cheap, good buffer with nice EQ options, and if they have the choice between that and the status symbol, they won't go for the expensive one anymore? But in that case, why pick only that route and not put out a cheaper version too? Combine that with the misleading ad copy which says how buffers can be bad for you but this one is a line driver and that's completely different, and it's easy to make the conclusion that he's just trying to mislead people into buying the expensive pedal when they would rather have a cheaper version. I wouldn't say it looks like a scam exactly, since the customers still get a nice buffer with nice EQ options, but it looks like it's edging up there.

And please do note, I'm talking about optics here, I'm not making any assumptions that that's what he's actually looking to do. I don't think he's doing it maliciously, and it would make sense that he's just afraid in general for his company's future, but I can see why he gets so much hate (or, well, guess at it - I could also be wrong, of course).

Just imagine the response if he also put out a $150 125B 9V version (without the loop, even, so you can get the Premium version with the Anything power system and the Super Vintage Loop addons plus a Swanky Enclosure). Make the cheap one with SMD parts and use through hole on the big one for the Super Tone Experience or whatever. And be frank that it's just a really good buffer instead of trying to mislead people.

Builders are afraid of tracing for no reason IMO.

If your pedal is worth a damn and marketed well enough, people will buy it.
If people really care about the pedal, copycats are inevitable, but few pedals become "important" enough for companies to clone them.
If companies like Demon FX, Mooer, Joyo, Hotone, Caline and so one WANT to copy your pedal, they will.
The DIY guys that want to build your pedal, or at least are interested in the trace, don't usually buy your pedal anyway.
DIYers and small builders that basically just put together PedalPCB kits won't cut into your profit margin considerably, as their copies have no resale value and too many guitarists are still concerned about "is it really just like the original?".
Regular guitarists don't know crap about your circuit and even if they open up a pedal to look, it might as well be a rocket engine to them.

Putting in your PCB upside down for no reason, gooping PCBs, scraping markings off your components and any other measure to obscure the circuit just come off as insecure or insincere to me. It feels like the builder is hiding something.

Reactions: spi
So many topics here.

Builders and tracing

I understand the reaction. You've put a lot of effort into creating something which you identify as part of you (whether this is a new thing or tweak of something existing). The DIY market asks for a trace and someone obliges, and it feels like your identity is being taken (regardless of whether it's hurting financials or not). A reaction is normal. Nobody knows how much work it took to get to that point, especially if they've gone to lengths to understand EE and circuit design.
On the other hand, there is a financial incentive for DIY to trace new circuits whilst they're in vogue. DIYers salivate over new things, and if you can bring them to the shop for the "new fancy pedal" they will add a few more delicious goodies in their cart.
This is clearly different from days past where it was "hopefully" a schematic, or maybe a vero for those capable to use.
There is definitely risk from loss of income there, not necessarily from loss of sales to DIYers, but the cowboys who make shitty clones/traces and then say "new fancy pedal" sucked to all their friends.

The pedal business
Anyone who thinks there is a lot of easy money in the pedal industry hasn't had to run a business at any sort of scale. Just look at the brilliant commercial builders we have on the forum (I'm not calling anyone out on purpose), they have awesome stuff and have good demand. How many still have their day jobs?
Yes, the cost of components themselves can be pretty low. The threshold for making a quality product is low (yay for SMD assembly) but there's an actual business to be run.
Let's say you want to be paid a living wage, let's say $60K (which is questionable whether it's a living wage for a family). You make a pedal for $50 and sell for $150. Just to pay your wage, you need to sell 600 pedals a year. 50 pedals a month out the door before you turn a profit. Oh wait, shipping costs have doubled, now you need to sell 55 pedals each month to break even. You need some tools and capital assets, let's not forget depreciation. Now we're at 60 pedals. You're backed up building these things and they're not reaching your audience. You need some sort of marketing, you've lucked out and got some YouTubers to do some paid demos. Fudge, 65-70 pedals a month now. JUST TO BREAK EVEN.
Oh fudge, we forgot returns and failures and are edging towards 75 pedals a month. We're losing sales because people don't want to wait for their pedal to be built, so we need to maintain an inventory. That number of pedals is building higher.
Oh damn. I forgot to include taxes in all of this.. accountants.. you get the picture. The real world of business is not selling a $50 pedal for $150 and smiling. It's 2-3 years of no profit and then scraping upwards slowly.
But Dave.. you just run the pedal business on the side of your day job until it's going.. oh yeah, great idea. Working double, no time for family.. can't see why I would get emotional when my baby is seen traced fresh on release..

Original designs
Apart from a few scammers, designers are putting their heart into making things they believe are better. EUNA included. A bunch of people who are building PCBs by numbers are in no position to crap on that. If a Klon were newly released today, the forum would be full of comments like "it's a Distortion+ with a clean blend" and they'd be right, but it's still innovation.

Marketing
Lots of fud here. A cloned circuit with a series 0R resistor is an "innovative new design". I get it, marketing equals sales and people have mouths to feed. Often, marketing is out-sourced to someone who is a specialist in marketing and not in pedal design.

If only we could have peace, love, and happiness in the pedal world.

@Fama and @Big Monk thanks for sharing your thoughts! I think you both make very good points.

I also think the truth (about anything) is somewhere in the middle, between the “most virtuous” and “most evil” options, and rarely at the extremes.

I guess my biggest point is this:

If you judge a builder coming here upset about a trace SOLELY on their coming here upset in the first place, and don’t take into consideration what myself and @szukalski discussed above, you’ve really left out a lot of intangibles in your assessment of that person.

I guess in my estimation you SHOULD expect a builder to be upset about a trace, naturally, but I WOULDN’T expect the community to be callous and negative about that reaction, no matter the circumstances.

That’s just my opinion though and I don’t expect or demand everyone to agree.

Back