Which inductor for the newest version of Conqueror Fuzz?

Hey gang,

There seems to be a couple difference of answers for the Conqueror Fuzz inductor. I purchased the pcb last week, which inductor model should I buy for it? Thanks in advance.

I am curious as well. On the build docs it says 500mH.

I purchased a TM013-R from small bear. I am currently trying to trace the circuit and figure out where I am supposed to solder the leads.

It would be great to hear from someone who as put this together already? Or perhaps I will just give it a go and update?

The PCB is designed to fit several different style inductors.

For a fasel inductor you should install one lead into any of the green pads and one lead into any of the red pads.
1623701177032.png

For the 42TM013 you should install the primary side on the side marked Primary and made sure the secondary leads go into the unplated holes at the bottom. Do not solder the secondary side.

1623701381696.png

For a fasel inductor you should install one lead into any of the green pads and one lead into any of the red pads.
View attachment 12682

For the 42TM013 you should install the primary side on the side marked Primary and made sure the secondary leads go into the unplated holes at the bottom. Do not solder the secondary side.

View attachment 12683
Perfect! I was just about to ask about the bare holes. The via around R16 (10K) was throwing me for a loop.

I liked the Supreme so much that I might build another. Is it basically the same circuit but with the distortion and filter always on? And I see 3 choices for the frequency instead of 4? Which one was removed?

I bought five 42TM013 transformers from Small Bear. Their inductance is around 1.9H, considerably higher than the 500mH - 600mH you find in wah inductors. They'll work, but the tuning will be about an octave lower than the production pedals.

I liked the Supreme so much that I might build another. Is it basically the same circuit but with the distortion and filter always on? And I see 3 choices for the frequency instead of 4? Which one was removed?

The Conqueror Supreme is a Conqueror with the Distortion switching enabled and one more (higher freq) MRB setting than the Vox preamp on which those pedals are based. The Mystery Box is based on the Magical Mystery Machine, which is similar, but not the same as the Conqueror Supreme. The MMB is Castledine's take on the Vox preamp and it contains a much-needed gain recovery stage at the end.

I purchased a TM013-R from small bear. I am currently trying to trace the circuit and figure out where I am supposed to solder the leads.

It would be great to hear from someone who as put this together already? Or perhaps I will just give it a go and update?
Those transformer leads are fragile. You only want to solder them once. Don't pull on the leads or twist them, else you'll break the lead loose from the winding inside.

Castledine winds his own chokes for the MMB. I'd think any decent Wah inductor would do nicely. Try and get something around 500mH - 600mH. Don't spend too much money on it though...

Castledine Magical Mystery Box (48).JPG

Interesting. So the transformer (which is what I installed) may be giving me too high a frequency? Could I adjust some resistor value to scale it down?

Interesting. So the transformer (which is what I installed) may be giving me too high a frequency? Could I adjust some resistor value to scale it down?
Uh, no. The higher inductance results in a lower resonant freq. It's an L-C circuit; the resonant freq is determined by that inductor and the caps selected by the MRB switch. Give it a listen, you'll probably like it as-is.

Ah I should’ve looked that up. Still rusty. I do like the way it sounds now but I wonder if I would like the original better. So I could replace the capacitors to get the frequency closer to the original? Would that affect the Q of the filter?

Last edited:
Going by the Conqueror Supreme build docs, these things affect the filter Q:
L1 inductance
L1 resistance
C10-C13 (assuming you're using the rotary switch)
Treble control setting
Bass control setting

If you can't get the sound you want by turning knobs, changing the inductor probably won't get you there either.

I bought five 42TM013 transformers from Small Bear. Their inductance is around 1.9H, considerably higher than the 500mH - 600mH you find in wah inductors. They'll work, but the tuning will be about an octave lower than the production pedals.

BASS! 😻

Thanks for that titbit, and for the advice on the pins-soldering.

Hmm rotary to select between a regular Fasel and a 42TOM013... with a LPF clean blend ...

Going by the Conqueror Supreme build docs, these things affect the filter Q:
L1 inductance
L1 resistance
C10-C13 (assuming you're using the rotary switch)
Treble control setting
Bass control setting

If you can't get the sound you want by turning knobs, changing the inductor probably won't get you there either.
I see, the circuit is pretty complicated. I do like the way it sounds already, I was just wondering how it would sound with the filter tuned to the frequency it was designed for.

I did some math on the resonant frequency. With 500 mH we get mid range frequencies between 500Hz and 1kHz. With 1900 mH we get between 250Hz and 500Hz, so barely getting to the mid range. I think I’m gonna try and swap that transformer for a 500mH inductor after all…

I was going to save this for another LTSpice tutorial, but here's a teaser:

This is the Mystery Box's freq response with all stock part values, DISTORTION off, MRB on, BASS & TREBLE at noon. Inductor is a Stack-of-Dimes. Each trace is for a different position of the MRB rotary switch.
Stack-of-Dimes inductor.png

Same setup, but now with a 42TM013 transformer. The resonant frequencies are shifted down about an octave and the Q is a little lower.
42TM013 inductor.png

We can obtain a similar freq shift by changing the MRB caps.

View attachment 12682

View attachment 12683
I didn’t even know this new design existed! I’ve got a handful of ME-6’s I bought when the original pcb came out and the next few I ordered had newer layout that didn’t accept them (easily anyway). Thought they’d end up just collecting dust. Now I need to order more Conquerors! Thanks!

Back