DEMO Wise Sheep (A szukalski Sheepy Love project)

This post contains an audio or video demo

MichaelW

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
I posted about the shipment from JLCPCB that @szukalski had drop shipped to me to distribute to his US based "customers"...:)

This is the first board of the batch that I decided to build after Dave suggested it. I think he knows me too well....hahaha....I haven't had this much fun with an overdrive pedal in quite a while! Absolutely love it! He totally knocked it out of the park with this.

He told me that it was essentially a modified blues breaker but it sounds like no BluesBreaker variant I've ever played.

It's based on a Japanese boutique pedal called the "Minerva" by Vivie Effects. I spent some time on the website looking over what the controls do and still don't quite understand what's going on. But it sounds fabulous. It's actually a rather higher gain pedal and it's one of the few overdrives that I prefer it the gain set high.

There's a On-On toggle that switches in a 220k resistor (as opposed to a diode clipping control) that according to the website is supposed to configure the pedal to be either played through a combo amp or a Head/stack. They call it the "JC vs MS" mode. (JC-120 vs Marshall Stack).

It's a subtle change thats hard to hear unless the gain is cranked but one position definitely has more compression. I didn't have an On-On DPDT so I used an On-Off-On. The "off" position offers yet another bit of flavor which is interesting.

Something about these Japanese boutique pedals really appeal to me. The Providence SOV-2 (Bullrush) and Altero Kaede (Acer overdrive) are a couple of my favorite lately. There's a warmth to them without being muffled that's really cool. The Wise Sheep is the same way but with a lot more gain.

But the real star of the show is the rich harmonics of the gain. They just seem to jump off the fretboard. It's a very lively pedal.

So far I've only been messing with it through a clean amp but according to @szukalski it does a great job driving a crunchy amp as well.

Super stoked about this pedal! Looking forward to building the others.
IMG_5350.JPG

IMG_5349.JPG

I think I am going to send you my posca paint pens just so you can save yourself a bit of a headache.

I challenge you to do it
I don’t know… that would be like a @jjjimi84 build with a UV print, or a @Guardians of the analog build with Batman on it. Just wouldn’t seem right at this point.

I think all my favorite builders (commercial and DIY) have a set of design principles, and they stick to them.

When I see a @MichaelW build I expect flawless gut shots and mystery knobs!

I don’t know… that would be like a @jjjimi84 build with a UV print, or a @Guardians of the analog build with Batman on it. Just wouldn’t seem right at this point.

I think all my favorite builders (commercial and DIY) have a set of design principles, and they stick to them.

When I see a @MichaelW build I expect flawless gut shots and mystery knobs!
This is such an elegant statement, like poetry about pedals.

Truthfully, I wish I knew how to do the stuff a lot of you are doing. I look at what @Guardians of the analog does with the uv print shop and the clean builds @MichaelW they both have. The knowledge of people like @Chuck D. Bones @cooder @vigilante398 and @benny_profane and @bean and @Robert and on and on have and am continually inspired to be better and learn more. This community has been such a well of information it’s continually amazing.

I am forgetting at least 300 people but forgive me, I am on my phone and have fat fingers and a bad memory.

Oh I don't know - a 125 looks a bit extravagant for a tiny PCB like that. I bet I could fit it into a 1590B. :cool:

You have me quite curious about this one. Obviously everything is beautiful about this - the PCB, the build, and apparently the circuit. I might have to look into this some more...

*edit* Just looked at the Minerva website. The first thing I saw when I looked at this pedal was that there was a cat doing paw-shaped droppings. But then I am suffering quite badly from a cold right now.

Oh I don't know - a 125 looks a bit extravagant for a tiny PCB like that. I bet I could fit it into a 1590B. :cool:

You have me quite curious about this one. Obviously everything is beautiful about this - the PCB, the build, and apparently the circuit. I might have to look into this some more...

*edit* Just looked at the Minerva website. The first thing I saw when I looked at this pedal was that there was a cat doing paw-shaped droppings. But then I am suffering quite badly from a cold right now.
It fits in a 1590B but only with a small relay. And the lid doesn’t quite close completely but works .. I wouldn’t recommend it though.

Hey, icongnito is the name of the game....I like my privacy, and I like to keep myself guessing when it comes to pedals. Keeps things fresh....
I had to start labeling the bottom plate - on the outside - so I can remember what the pedals do 🤣 I picked up a pedal the other day and realized I had no memory of building it and no memory of what it did. It was like Christmas in July 🤣😭🤣

It actually looked like a cat making poops when I first saw it.... :ROFLMAO:

Back