WTF resistors!

Phil hodson

2A68E23D-2D7C-4E82-B524-6603BA79C442.jpeg Not sure if this is the right place to post this question, I have just been populating a board and grabbed a handful of my 10kohm resistors. Diligently metering each and every one.
See the attached pic. Not the best wulity I know but both completely different color bands but both meter at exactly 10kohm. I checked about 10 times!
I thought they were ordered from the same place and the same manufacturer.
Anyone like to shed some light on this or am I going mad 🤯

Reactions: fig
The one on the right clearly looks like 10K +/- 1%.

The one on the left seems more ambiguous, but I could see it being 10K +/- 10% if reading it brown-black-black-red-violet. I can't really tell if those are the colors though--to me it looks like the violet should be the first digit and not the tolerance stripe.

Last edited:
Ahhh perfect. That makes sense then. It is Violet on the left one.
It was reading exactly 10.0k on my DMM so I’m guessing this won’t be an issue at all?

I don't even know how to read the stripes....I just check with a DMM before stuffing....usually about 4 times......it's a bit of my OCD leaking out.....heh
Exactly! I tried when I first started doing all of this by reading them and quickly gave up! Using the DMM multiple times is way easier and much more accurate than my eyes 🤣

Trust the reading, not the markings.
Totally! and because of the color difference I muct have checked it at least 5 times!! can never be too careful.

Thanks to everyone for putting my mind at rest. And confirming I wasnt going mad!

Back