You have two identical pedals to build: what’s the best/fastest method to tackle them both at the same time (or not? One at a time?)

I can’t find any info on this out there. So for those who have experience building little production lines (even if it’s two pedals), what’s the best method that you’ve found?

Or do you find simply one at a time to be the best method in the long run?

Great thread idea.

I’m working on two builds currently, same circuit with minor variance to compare the two (breadboarding not desirable as I need the two pedals anyway, can mod either to full spec of the other). Couple of etched boards from Habberdasher

Popped all the resistors, placing R-1 on board-A, then R-1 on board-B etc since there’s no silkscreen on the boards to follow; following the layout diagram, it’s easier to find a position in the layout once and then pop both boards’ component(s).

All resisters are popped, need to solder them.

Then I’ll repeat the process of locating, popping both boards for caps, ICs, transistors etc.

When I do multiples, I load all resistors and diodes at once, then flip em and solder em. Then the same for mlcc caps and chip sockets, transistors, board mounted LEDs, and finally electrolytics

A lot of the time, if I'm building something I don't need a build doc for, PedalPCB boards being an example, I'll do several different boards simultaneously even when they're different circuits. That's one way I'm able to get so many builds done so quickly

I do basically the same for enclosure drilling, and when I get bored or need to do something tedious, I'll clip wires to the common lengths I use and strip em

Last edited:
Great thread idea.

I’m working on two builds currently, same circuit with minor variance to compare the two (breadboarding not desirable as I need the two pedals anyway, can mod either to full spec of the other). Couple of etched boards from Habberdasher

Popped all the resistors, placing R-1 on board-A, then R-1 on board-B etc since there’s no silkscreen on the boards to follow; following the layout diagram, it’s easier to find a position in the layout once and then pop both boards’ component(s).

All resisters are popped, need to solder them.

Then I’ll repeat the process of locating, popping both boards for caps, ICs, transistors etc.

I think everyone seems to agree that your tasks should remain split up, but shared across the boards.

• Do you populating together (gather ALL parts
  • Cut all your wires at the same time
  • Drill your enclosures at the same time
Etc

I used to do this more, but now I don't do runs as much as made to order. I used to just set all the boards out I wanted and then populate them by value, so every 10k resistor goes into every board, every 100k, etc. Then I soldered the resistors/diodes as a batch, then sockets, then short caps, then transistors and tall caps, soldering after each group of components. Each board then goes to its box to be finished one at a time, connecting daughterboards, soldering on switches, pots, etc. I didn't have wires when I did batches of pedals as my designs were hard connected, but I'd have done all the wires at once outside the enclosure with my pre stripped ones from LMS if I were to do them now with how my current designs build up.

By component and value yes. So far I think everyone mostly agrees to some extent but the hard part for me in doing this is organization and keeping my space clear of clutter. It builds up fast if you don't have a system. I gather all components and organize them using a silverware drawer organizer and move through them. If I am doing multiple different or even mildly differing boards I have used a row for mutually exclusive parts per pedal and a row for shared components. I use my laptop instead of printing and one note to be able to see two build docs at one time and I can easily make a quick note or cross off components and draw in tiny mods. When I clip my leads I do them all at once with the lead 80% in the jar so that way I catch most of them there too.

I'm generally not really going for speed but I think these have improved the quality of my time at the very least.

Not sure to tell you the truth I usualy blackout and lose time, when I wake up they are done… but for some reason sometimes it’s uncomfortable to sit down for a few days after that… 🤷🏻

Back