TH Black Eye (Soldano GTO) prototype build

Are you connecting the Buffer between the Input Jack & Input pad on the PCB?
Yes and no. The buffer PCBs I designed are still drop-in replacements for the footswitch PCB, but I ran the input jack wire straight to the footswitch PCB instead of the input jack pad on the main PCB. I need power and ground connections, and that's the easiest and cleanest way for me to get them.

Built mine up and tested it out. Sounds great, but the tubes don't glow. How are other people supposed to know I'm better than them with my kickass tube pedal if the tubes don't glow? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
That's what the extra CLR and LED holes pads are for........to MAKE SURE everyone knows it's as glowing hot tube..... :D

Alright, I've concluded some fairly extensive testing and have determined that the Cornish buffer is the best option I've found to tame the oscillations. I can get gain up to 3 o'clock on this build before it starts whining, which is a huge improvement over what it was, I think it started around 11 o'clock before.

I only ordered a handful of Cornish PCBs to start, can I get a couple volunteers to try them out on your Black Eye build and verify that it helps with the oscillations? Once I've had non-affiliated builders confirm that it helps I will make the boards available to everyone that has a Black Eye board. I only have 4 more boards on hand but I would be happy to send all 4 out there to make sure they work so I feel better ordering 100.

This is what the buffer boards look like, obviously pre-soldered. You swap out the original 3PDT board for these, then the wire from the input jack goes straight to this board instead of to the main PCB. So almost a drop-in replacement, but definitely an easy replacement. LED is still in the same place, so you don't need to change the enclosure.

IMG20221018204501.jpg

IMG20221018204508.jpg

Haven’t built mine yet, but I’m finishing up the some faceplates to order including for this build, so it’s pretty soon in the pipeline. Do you think that using 12AY7 or 12AT7 tubes combined with the buffer would make it so the gain can go beyond 3:00 without squeal? I’d rather have slightly less gain on tap but a full useable range of rotation on the gain pot than have the full over-the-top gain level with only 2/3 of a useable rotation before squeal city.

Haven’t built mine yet, but I’m finishing up the some faceplates to order including for this build, so it’s pretty soon in the pipeline. Do you think that using 12AY7 or 12AT7 tubes combined with the buffer would make it so the gain can go beyond 3:00 without squeal? I’d rather have slightly less gain on tap but a full useable range of rotation on the gain pot than have the full over-the-top gain level with only 2/3 of a useable rotation before squeal city.
It's very possible, I have 12AX7 in both positions on this one, 12AT7 has 70% of the gain of 12AX7 and 12AY7 only has 44%, and I'm getting more than 75% of the gain sweep without squeal, so I would expect those tubes with the buffer in front to do it.
@vigilante398 I'll buy a couple and try them. Got 2 I need to build this next week.
I'm not selling them, but I can get you a couple for free ;) PM me your address (I know I have it somewhere, but this is faster) and I'll get a couple out to you.

I just put a 12AT7 in V1 in combination with a 12AX7 in V2, you're still going to get a LOT of gain, this thing is a beast. I still only ever run the gain around 9-10 o'clock. But then, I'm an old guy...so....there's that.

Well it looks like all the boards I have on hand now have new homes lined up, I'll get them out today after work. I'll get the order ready to get a bunch more in stock so everybody can have them, so if I don't get to you this time I'll get to you shortly.

If you've purchased one (or more) of these boards, you're entitled to a replacement 3PDT board with onboard buffer, free of charge. PM me your order number and I'll get one (or however many were ordered) in the mail for you.

If your shipping address has changed since your purchase, please email me from the email associated with the order so I can update it in my fancy website system and keep everything organized. I have more than enough of these in stock to cover all the Black Eye boards I've sold, but I won't be selling any new Black Eye boards until these buffer boards have gone out to everyone who needs them.

Back