TH Black Eye (Soldano GTO) prototype build

I've sent out a handful of boards already, but wanted to bump in case anyone didn't see it:

I have buffer boards on hand to swap into Black Eye builds for those that want them. These are free of charge if you already purchased a Black Eye board, message me or email me with your order number and I'll get it out to you.

I've sent out a handful of boards already, but wanted to bump in case anyone didn't see it:

I have buffer boards on hand to swap into Black Eye builds for those that want them. These are free of charge if you already purchased a Black Eye board, message me or email me with your order number and I'll get it out to you.
Planning on ordering an Echo Foxtrot board this weekend- should I just put it in the order comments, or should I still email you too.

Has anyone that I've sent the new batch of buffer boards to had a chance to wire it in and test it yet? I didn't change the design at all from the first batch so I figured they would be the same, but I just tried one tonight and it's giving a super weak, thin-sounding signal. I've checked this both with a Black Eye and just the buffer going straight into the amp and I'm getting the same results.

I'm going to halt shipping of these until I've had confirmation that these are working the same as the previous batch. If not I need to complain to the manufacturer, because something may be wrong.

I am not sure what they're supposed to sound like but this makes me want to pull mine and try it without the buffer.... I wouldn't call mine weak or thin but perhaps it's not as big as it's supposed to be? You have me second guessing my confirmation of functioning. I'll report back later.

Ok, apologies. I just swapped and yeah... the buffer was choking it out. It's suddenly sounding gigantic and giving me some squeal with the gain cranked. Holy jeebz it sounds good now though. I guess we'll try the next one. Not throwing the buffered switch in the trash yet or anything.
We are not alone, even the PCB suppliers can get it wrong somehow between batches!!!
Robert has been bitten a few times on repeat orders!

been 2-3 months sinceI plugged my BE in.. it was thinnish last time.. watch now it howls and squeals like rutting..

the 'fun' parts of larger manufacturers, they buy at the truck load from who's cheapest.

Ok, apologies. I just swapped and yeah... the buffer was choking it out. It's suddenly sounding gigantic and giving me some squeal with the gain cranked. Holy jeebz it sounds good now though. I guess we'll try the next one. Not throwing the buffered switch in the trash yet or anything.
Okay, thanks for verifying for me. I checked through the order to make sure the files were the exact same ones I sent in last time, zero changes. I guess I'm writing a nasty email to the PCB place and trying again. I apologize again for the inconvenience to everyone that has one inbound, I will get this sorted. Again.

Did anyone ever try the ferrite bead trick @music6000 mentioned. I have some coming and thought I’d give it a try. So just jump one in the power + and then another one on the input ?

I was just about to request the board but I see there are some issues with the current batch. Hopefully the supplier makes it right.

Last edited:
Back