What's on the workbench?

I'll take 5.

0034000003860_A1L1_ItemMaster_type_large.jpeg
Me too!

A Paul Desmond classic!

On the bench this week till the Ultimatum arrives for tracing - Stereophonic Gizmotronic Symphonic Harmonic Perambulator

Working on a commission build for a client who want a one-off build of a stereo-dual chorus with a shimmer verb follower on each channel. It will be using 4 modified GuitarPCB "Mini-Me" chorus circuits and 2 PedalPCB 'Pythagoras' project boards with custom SpinCAD Designer/SpinASM rolled FX patches. Each stereo chorus pair will tied together at the LFO so they can be independent or synchronized with both 'depth' & 'rate' mods. Each chorus section will have independent controls. The two Pythagoras boards will be synchronized under a set of dual-gang pots & patch selection actuator. The L & R outputs will be pushed thru a pair of balanced XLR driver boards.

The fun part will be finishing the rack box faceplate.

Attachments

• Dual_Chorus_Blank_Build_01c.png
    Dual_Chorus_Blank_Build_01c.png
    488.1 KB · Views: 26
  • Rack_Dual_Chorus_Shim-Verb_Internal_Modules.jpg
    Rack_Dual_Chorus_Shim-Verb_Internal_Modules.jpg
    784.4 KB · Views: 26
I have a Fuzzrite in the works. Trying to make it quieter. Here's a few observations:

It sounds thinner and buzzier into a clean amp, fatter into a tube amp at the edge of breakup. So much so that taking out the 22k resistor doesn't make that much of a difference whereas it's pretty big with a clean amp.

A 470pF cap from input to ground gets rid of the radio for the most part. Still noisy though.

Adding a 100r resistor in series with the input doesn't help. It does suck high end.

I went from 2N3904 with a hFE of 192 to 2x 2N3692s at 64. Slightly less gainy and trebly of course.
Adding 100r-200r resistors to the emitters to ground didn't make much of a difference.

Noise is part of the deal here. It isn't as loud as a fuzz face. It's also scooped in the mids so you have to crank the volume and live with hiss.

I tried adding the PW knob from the Fuzzolo but it didn't work. I added it to a Fuzz Face but it oscillates. I suppose the 2.2k to ground on Q2e must be there also.

More breadboarding to come.

I was setting up my rig to play around with the breadboard. It and the Auditorium were on the floor. I stepped on the Volume pot and boom, the lugs just separated. There goes a pot...

• Sad
Reactions: fig
Back