Multi meter

Phil hodson

Hello all!

While building today my multi meter started to play up. I changed the batteries and it worked for a while and then started mucking around again. To the point I don’t think I can trust it much longer. Don’t worry it’s had a good life and served me well.

I’m looking for some suggestions for a good multi meter that can cover all the bases we need for pedal building.

Ready, GO!

Phil

I hate to say money doesn’t matter but would like to get the best bang for my buck if it’s more but actually does more useful things then I’m in.
Will go check out that link. Thanks.

I hate to say money doesn’t matter but would like to get the best bang for my buck if it’s more but actually does more useful things then I’m in.
Will go check out that link. Thanks.
Then id say go with a Fluke but tbh the one i sent does every job with no hassle I use it every time and with the results i get, ive used them to post up specifics here on the forum when troubleshooting and never had an issue where someone wasnt getting similar readings. In other words its very accurate from what i can tell.

If money isn't a factor and you plan to use it regularly, Fluke 87V. You won't likely ever say "Man, I should have gotten that other meter" ...

For tracing I use an old Fluke 10 because despite lacking all the bells and whistles the continuity test is lightning fast.

The primary difference is frequency and accurate low-current measurements. They both measure DC voltage, resistance, and diode/transistor forward voltages. I never use my Flukes for capacitance because they aren't very accurate below 10nF or so.

I hope I never have to choose, but if I could only keep one it'd be the Fluke 10. None of the others come close to the latency of the continuity test, which is (obviously) one of my most used features.

I've been using a Fluke 10 for the last few years and can highly recommend it. Unless you're a professional electrician/engineer you probably won't need any more functionality than the 10 offers for pedal building/basic electronics.

Some of the multifunctions are limited in range or accuracy, so make sure it can perform the tasks you will be asking of it. A 10MΩ input resistance is pretty important.

Thanks for all the info. Lots to go on there.

The one I have looks similar to some. Its the AstroAI one from amazon. And while it didnt exactly break the bank, i had hoped it would last a little bit longer! I will work on it some more today and try different leads to see if thats whats the issue.

In the mean time I have managed to find a "new in box" Fluke 87V for a very reasonable price so im wondering if its worth pulling the trigger on that?

Hmm for a very reasonable price I'd say yes, hit it. It can be handy having two DMMs. Apparently my amp-sifu isn't the only one who thinks so:

"It's not unusual to want to measure more than one voltage or perhaps a voltage and a current all simultaneously

Take the average LED - it has a very specific characteristic curve of voltage versus current. You might want to rig up an experiment to measure these values and plot a graph like the one in the datasheet.
Transistor base voltage, base current and collector current. Maybe another for emitter voltage if there is a degeneration resistor.
" — rstofer, from the EEBLOG

What's a Fluke 87V go for? ... hmmm... $450+ ouch!

Ouch indeed. Like I said I dont mind spending on things that are worth it. Is a Fluke worth it? for a hobby? I have found some good priced used ones like I said. Just waititng to hear back about those.

I have been looking at the LM2020 scope/multimeter. Maybe thats a good way to go??

Ouch indeed. Like I said I dont mind spending on things that are worth it. Is a Fluke worth it? for a hobby? I have found some good priced used ones like I said. Just waititng to hear back about those.

I have been looking at the LM2020 scope/multimeter. Maybe thats a good way to go??

I used one of these and it worked great, until my son borrowed it..then I bought a Fluke...and a Siglent 3045X, so I'm like the poster child for being a wee extra.

Thanks @fig. Your input is always welcome.
It seems there are loads around that price range of the link you sent and then a massive jump upto Flukes! Not much in between.
Which Fluke did you end up getting?
I do like the look of that Siglent one…. Oh no!!!

A 117. I think I spent more on test leads 🤣 I love those push-on leads and probes. I'd recommend those even if you don't get the Fluke. Some are more handy than others...I'll post some pics of the ones I use a lot.

Well I have to admit I bought this a lot because of the Geek aspect of having a full touch screen multimeter, but it's also a decent price....

I like it! I have two other MM's which are fluke clones, and I use this one instead although I didn't like the probes which were pretty short, so I switched them for some other longer ones I had from a MM that died back in the 00's. I has a rechargeable battery too.

The D + E models have true RMS. All models of the T61+ line also have true RMS. I've had the 61E ($75) on my shopping list for a while now but don't really have a reason for a new multimeter.

Reactions: fig
Back