What's on the workbench?

In your opinion, what’s the threshold, with respect to quantity, at which JLCPCB stops being the most cost effective source of PCB manufacture?

I'm pretty much using JLCPCB for everything these days except for SMD assembly (although I probably should give them a shot) and panels with a large number of small subpanels. (SOT adapters, etc)

You can get better prices in large quantities but it's nowhere near as streamlined as ordering from JLCPCB and the results can be inconsistent.

I'm pretty much using JLCPCB for everything these days except for SMD assembly (although I probably should give them a shot) and panels with a large number of small subpanels. (SOT adapters, etc)

You can get better prices in large quantities but it's nowhere near as streamlined as ordering from JLCPCB and the results can be inconsistent.

They are VERY responsive. I can’t tell you how many times I was able to swap files Pre-production and their customer service is top notch.

They are VERY responsive. I can’t tell you how many times I was able to swap files Pre-production and their customer service is top notch.

Yep. Not to mention the convenience of the web interface / real time status... You won't get that with the "big" fab houses.
Everything is done by email with your project manager....

Yep. I once replaced on mistake with another, myself.

Ugh... I've submitted Gerbers then found an issue with the control layout... Corrected the error and contacted them to update the order.

A few days later, after production was well underway, realized that I had it right the first time. 😭 :rolleyes:

Even with the perk into PPCB HQ being what I vaguely pictured (I always pictured esd picking bins only because black is cool — I keep some shit organized at the tattoo shop in those, somehow cheaper than just plain black at the time) I am still soo curious just from that photo what the rest is like.

Is that the trailer / cabin or is it a different space?

Even with the perk into PPCB HQ being what I vaguely pictured (I always pictured esd picking bins only because black is cool — I keep some shit organized at the tattoo shop in those, somehow cheaper than just plain black at the time) I am still soo curious just from that photo what the rest is like.

Is that the trailer / cabin or is it a different space?
I believe that's in G building. Here's a shot of the PPCB lounge. (y)

1696953344163.jpeg

We've been using JLCPCB for SMD (and a few TTH parts - resistors & diodes) assembly on our Rockman X100 project. So far, after a few dozen, they've all been perfect. Because their inventory is constantly changing, the pick-list set up can be a PITA searching for alternate part IDs.

V2_Wired_Stage_2.jpg

Because their inventory is constantly changing, the pick-list set up can be a PITA searching for alternate part IDs.

This is what prevented me from using JLC in the past...

At the time (it's been a couple years) you could only use components offered in their library. There was no option to ship components to them for assembly and they didn't carry the FV1, THAT4305, or MMBFJ201s.

I think that has changed since then, I just haven't given it a shot.

This is what prevented me from using JLC in the past...

At the time (it's been a couple years) you could only use components offered in their library. There was no option to ship components to them for assembly and they didn't carry the FV1, THAT4305, or MMBFJ201s.

I think that has changed since then, I just haven't given it a shot.

The component availability has only gotten better and better since I’ve kept up with it in the past couple of years, with the exception of JFETs which they seem to be chronically unable to keep in stock at LCSC.

I’ve only ever had them assemble small utility type boards though. Their whole push with EasyEDA and EasyEDA pro has made it all super streamlined, but I still can’t get used to it’s schematic editor after getting so comfortable with Diptrace.

Back