PtoP El Sol/Acapulco gold

comradehoser

Fun build! It was a very good learning experience translating a schematic into 3 dimensions and in Minimalist soldering. Maybe not the most aesthetic PtoP, but it works--and it's pretty low noise to boot while pushing out some major signal boost and very nice distortion.

Will do some stuff differently next time for my next PtoP build, the 2 sticks of derm
IMG_20240403_003524177.jpg

Fun build! It was a very good learning experience translating a schematic into 3 dimensions and in Minimalist soldering. Maybe not the most aesthetic PtoP, but it works--and it's pretty low noise to boot while pushing out some major signal boost and very nice distortion.

Will do some stuff differently next time for my next PtoP build, the 2 sticks of derm
View attachment 72199
Looks like a really hard but fun exercise but I always question of reliability of free floating PTP pedals. Reeves pedals has roadworthy pedals that use sturdy supports and they're beautiful. I would gig those for sure but none of my own haha

The only major issue I think is components floating around and creating unintended connections. For me it was the output cap contacting the ground "rail" I created. The solder joints are strong enough to hold the components at least in this low count circuit. Maybe transformers would be a problem, but I think probably you could address some of the issues with better design.

Only time and testing will really tell. I wonder if other PtoP builders have had issues with their builds over time?

Assembly was not super hard. You have to break things down into subunits, which is really great for learning circuit topology and how schematics translate.

It is not for super beginners because it does require some soldering knowhow as well as knowledge of where things are likely to go.

I'd say the most difficult thing technically is the just the light touch soldering and figuring out how to hold things while you solder them.

I did the same project. I used some heavier gauge wire to help support and keep everything in place. Still, I need to work on mine, it's noisy. Great job !

I did the same project. I used some heavier gauge wire to help support and keep everything in place. Still, I need to work on mine, it's noisy. Great job !
Hm! Maybe the larger wire gauge is to blame for the noise, somehow? Bunk ICs? Mine is surprisingly quiet. And thank you!

On the previous question, have you experienced anything in your pedal that would make you question if the pedal could endure a tour experience?

I used component legs and 24awg solid core, which as it turns out is a bit thin. My ground rail was wire stripped 24awg, and I had to sister some component legs to it because I repositioned some connected components and the flex kinked and broke the wire on the scores from the wire stripping.

For the next one, I think I'll see if I can do the whole thing with just components legs and the components themselves, with the exception of long runs like the jack ins and outs.

Last edited:
As a question: the only grounded component I didn't solder to the ground rail (line from 3pdt to input jack) was the 100u power cap, which the schematic showed to join with the line off the negative terminal of the DC jack before joining to ground.

Does it make a difference? I would think not, but maybe there is something with joining power supply grounds directly to audio circuit grounds that could create oscillation or something, I don't know.

The ICs I used came from Tayda and could definitely be the source of the noise, I may have cold joints due to fear of frying the ICs. For the ground rail, I used 18awg buss wire from next gen, I had some left from an amp project. I think it could endure a lot, maybe not being dropped from a few feet to a hard surface, but having a small network or 18awg wires gives some rigidity to the guts.

I pre-tinned the legs with quite a bit of solder, and after cooling, buttered in the other wire/component leg on top. If it looked ashy, I would do a glancing blow after dipping my iron's tip in flux. Seems to have worked okay. I may have missed some dodgy joints. It was getting late and I really wanted to test it out.

But really, I was very surprised at how quickly soldering happens wire to wire. It's nothing like PCB soldering at all. I was also surprised that you have time to solder and "edit-solder" properly on a line even if downline components are also soldered legs. If you get too close or leave the iron too long, though, it's fine fine fine, and suddenly meltdown city.

I also tried to do parallel line sistering solders rather than perpendicular solders, but I think I will try more "dot joining" for the next one, as they seem to be pretty strong.

The 18AWG sounds like a plan. I think I have a spool of solid core copper wire laying about around that gauge.

Reactions: Nic
Back