15v diode eliminated in new Simulcast?

maladyne

Hello, I bought a Simulcast board back ‘21 and only started the build this week. I downloaded the build docs and saw that layout changed but didn’t think much about it. As I started populating it, I saw the 15v diode, which isn’t on the new list of components. Just curious why…Is there any significant difference in sound between the two versions? How much noisier is this older layout?

It's a Zener diode that is/was there to protect the charge pump against too high voltages.
As long as you don't plug in more than 9-12V (if using the LT1054), you're safe regardless.

OK, moving on to the capacitors - it looks like two of the electrolytic caps in the old layout were called out as 120u, but are listed as 100u in the new layout - can I install 100u there or do they have to be 120u? Thanks again…

Heya - I guess I’m generally looking for guidance on the component values listed on the (old version) Simulcast board vs the components listed in the revised board build docs. It seems there were changes made to values when the layout was updated, and I don’t really understand this circuit enough to know if either value works, if it would be better to use the new values, or stick with the old values, or does it even matter? Do the new values contribute to quieter operation? Sorry if I’m overthinking this; mostly just curious to hear from people more knowledgeable than me. Thanks!

You could probably use 100µF for where it wants 120µF and never hear any difference. There is often quite a wide tolerance range in electrolytic caps. However the 330µF cap should definitely be 330µF because it's part of the low-cut control. You could make it smaller I guess but you will hear it.

Back