80Bits - PedalPCB Ocelot Octave

Very cool. Love the 80’s vibe and back drop, instantly was transported back to the arcade section at the local roller rink and being a kid again.

I need to build a second one as I sold my first and as usual miss it now.

I always screw up with the damn stomp switch pcb (except the purspose built ones like PedalPCBs.

My tiny little brain has difficulty translating build docs that show traditional wiring when I'm trying to swap them in.

Next time I have a build all wired up and ready to make the final connections only to realize I have 2 positive input leads that both want to connect to the jack and and extra section of ground coming off of the DC ground I'll take a picture and post it.

Actually I've only recently become OCD about my builds. but I found that I was spending sooooooo much time trouble shooting, taking pictures and posting to forums, waiting for responses, probing with custom made audio probes fixing stupid shit that I rush through that i decided to take the slow and deliberate approach.

Literally, taking the second to orient my resistors to read from left to right and double check the value "red red... that's two two, right?" has saved me quite a few embarassing mistakes just in the last week.

After my last botched build I literally soldered components one at a time on the board for a while. get part, test part on DMM, check to build doc, put on board, take three deep breaths, solder, get next part.... repeat None of this "how many 4.7k resistors do I need, 5, ok, get five, put them on the board, never mind that one of them was supposed to be 47k and the other 4.7M..

Actually I've only recently become OCD about my builds. but I found that I was spending sooooooo much time trouble shooting, taking pictures and posting to forums, waiting for responses, probing with custom made audio probes fixing stupid shit that I rush through that i decided to take the slow and deliberate approach.

Literally, taking the second to orient my resistors to read from left to right and double check the value "red red... that's two two, right?" has saved me quite a few embarassing mistakes just in the last week.

After my last botched build I literally soldered components one at a time on the board for a while. get part, test part on DMM, check to build doc, put on board, take three deep breaths, solder, get next part.... repeat None of this "how many 4.7k resistors do I need, 5, ok, get five, put them on the board, never mind that one of them was supposed to be 47k and the other 4.7M..
Yeah! Specially when you build pedals as a hobby, there's no reason to don't take the time and enjoy the ride. Once you get confident about it you'll stop worring that much about measuring every capacitor and resistor and the work process will flow more naturally.
I've been building pedals for 15 years now and that's how I pay my bills, and I keep taking my time and build each and every pedal as if I was building it to myself, and it never became a boring process, I really love it (except when I hate it after debugging the freaking 10 components fuzz for 5 hrs straight)

Back