A couple of Muff-style builds

caiofilipini

I haven't posted any finished builds in a while (mostly because I've been too busy breadboarding), but here are a couple of Muff-style pedals I built for a friend who is crazy about them. First is a stock OpAmp Muff (Dream Fuzz) on a Tayda Copper Hammer enclosure:

PXL_20210831_015347271~2.jpg

PXL_20210831_004134741~2.jpg

Next is a Muffin Fuzz board, but I subbed the values based on this Dope Priest layout (including the mids switch), using carbon comp resistors, silver mica caps and BC549C transistors on a fancy special run gold Gørva S90 enclosure with russian Muff style knobs:

PXL_20210826_131501746.jpg

PXL_20210826_131436374.jpg

I really like how both turned out, I hope my friend digs them too!

I've been having a great time with my Ram's Head build.

One thing I will say is this: Big Muffs seem to really give up the goods in tandem with other pedals. I've been boosting mine with a Vick Audio Overdriver at 18 v and slight compression from a Boss CS-2.

One thing I will say is this: Big Muffs seem to really give up the goods in tandem with other pedals. I've been boosting mine with a Vick Audio Overdriver at 18 v and slight compression from a Boss CS-2.

That's exactly what my friend who's obsessed with Big Muffs keeps saying. I'll try that out when I build one for myself.

That's exactly what my friend who's obsessed with Big Muffs keeps saying. I'll try that out when I build one for myself.

I have been tweaking to get the "In the Flesh?" tone from The Wall and I often find myself with 4-5 pedals on. The Big Muff gets set to about unity on Volume, 60-70% on Sustain and about 40% on Tone with the Overdriver slightly above unity with Treble kicked a bit past 50% and Bass a bit below 50%. Then slight compression from the CS-2 and a touch of 80s Reverb from my Flint.

I think one of the many misconceptions about the Big Muff is that it can thrive on it's own. It certainly can for some things but it's not instant Gilmour alone. I think many people get discouraged when they think they will channel DG with only a Muff.

I have build several versions, and I always prefer the tone set to at least 3:00. Anything below is too thick. I like it scratcher. The muff is super versatile, but I think a lot of people expect it to do one thing, so that’s how they use it.

I have build several versions, and I always prefer the tone set to at least 3:00. Anything below is too thick. I like it scratcher. The muff is super versatile, but I think a lot of people expect it to do one thing, so that’s how they use it.

I agree with you. Tone below 12:00 is really for specific Pink Floyd type stuff for me. For Gilmour type tones, past 12:00 doesnt seem to sound the same as below 12:00 and boosted with something else.

When I'm riffing on my own, I like to goose it past 12:00 and play with the mid-switch I installed.

The big muff circuit is so flexible with how many parameters can be adjusted

I have 4 here I built and none of them sound the same

My tone knobs are generally set around 1:00

I gotta go with Goldmember on this one...

fa2ee55dcd9949c6538d7973c7fc9711.jpg

Good Gørva, it looks so sharp with the knob choice and I like the Dope circuit substitutions, too.

Back