A Violet Ram's Head 2 Big Mutt!

Fingolfen

So since it's been several months since I built a Big Muff clone (granted, the combo pedal I just finished includes a Big Muff, but it is more than just a Muff clone), I figured it was time to go ahead and test out some alternate configurations of the Loud Cancer board - and try out some different potentiometer orientations as well. One of my favorite variants of the BMP is the Violet Ram's Head 2, so I decided to give it a whirl!

Big Mutt - VR2 - 01.jpg

Whereas I'd used the black version of the PCB in the Gilmoreosaurus, I also had some made up in purple (yes, largely because I like the Violet Ram's Head version of the pedal). I populated a couple of these boards at the same time as I was building the Gilmoreosaurus boards - so I used a similar mix of carbon film resistors and metal film capacitors. There are a few true ceramic capacitors for the pF values. The diodes are new 1N914s, and the transistors are new PN5133 from Mouser.

Big Mutt - VR2 - 02.jpg

Unlike my first builds with this board and the Gilmoreosaurus, I decided to try and go with a more conventional two over one control configuration on this build. I'd made up a few enclosures that were set up for the AionFX Halo board - but without the hole for the mids switch. I never ended up using them, so I repurposed them for this project. The volume and sustain pots have the center leg directly soldered to the board, and legs one and three are hand wired. Because the layout isn't perfect for this board, I went ahead and completely hand wired the tone pot. Going forward I'm going to set up an enclosure where I can hard solder leg two of all three pots and hand wire the other two. That way I'll have a standard control layout where the controls all work clockwise as expected (as the board as laid out has all of the controls turning counter-clockwise).

Per my normal practice, I'm using my 3PDT daughter board with the LED onboard, and all of the jack connections are insulated with heat shrink tubing. I built up one with a battery snap, but the Switchcraft jack for the battery version ends up a bit close to the two film capacitors near the input jack. I may try and bring the knobs down in the dedicated enclosure for this board going forward to allow a little more room, but that might then run afoul of the 3PDT board and stomp switch.

Big Mutt - VR2 - 03.jpg

Apart from the deletion of the mids switch, the enclosure is exactly what I'd worked up for my '73 Gilmour Ram's head build using the AionFX board. Honestly I think I like this one just a bit better. I'd previously built a Violet Ram's Head 2 using a mix of modern and vintage components (the diodes were vintage and I think the PN5133 transistors were a batch of NOS I'd picked up from Pedalhacker). Tone wise this one compares very favorably. I'd built two fully expecting to drop both in my Reverb store, but honestly I like the sound so much, I had a Bilbo Baggins moment...

Big Mutt - VR2 - 04.jpg

... the situation was exacerbated by the fact that I had no Gandalf telling me otherwise... and my wife thought it sounded yummy when I was playing some Gilmour. So there you have it - one for me, one for the site.

Original blog entry: https://steggostudios.blogspot.com/2023/09/a-new-violet-rams-head-2-big-mutt.html

That's awesome. I'm also a big fan of those violet ram's head versions. I think I preferred the 1st violet with the 470pf caps a smidge over the 2nd one with the 560pf caps. The Kit Rae site said some of the version twos had 470pf caps instead. The Big Muff might be my favorite guitar pedal circuit.

What's the QR code on the board for?

That's awesome. I'm also a big fan of those violet ram's head versions. I think I preferred the 1st violet with the 470pf caps a smidge over the 2nd one with the 560pf caps. The Kit Rae site said some of the version twos had 470pf caps instead. The Big Muff might be my favorite guitar pedal circuit.

What's the QR code on the board for?

One of these days I'm going to have to pull out all of my muff variants and do a "one muff to rule them all" tone shootout... I think VRH2 and Triangle are two of my favorites, though once I used NOS Soviet bits on a Sovtek I really like that too... Now, if you throw in the Cornish variants, then the fight really starts... *lol*

The QR code just takes you to LoudCancer's facebook page - he's the one who did the original layout.

Precious, indeed!

However, by Smaug, what have you become?

gollum-smeagol.gif

A fine pedal builder, that's what, and you deserve at least one of each of your own creations!

Back