DEMO Aberration Fuzz

This post contains an audio or video demo

VanWhy

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
Another one on my path to build "hybrid" fuzz boxes. This one seemed to get a good amount of hype.

Built to silkscreen except I used a A500k pot since I didn't have a C500k for the Fuzz. I don't think this would make a big difference. Especially since to me it sounds great maxed anyway. I used the highest hfe MP38 I had which was only ~59 as opposed to the suggested 79. Biased at -4.5V and to my ears sounds good. It does the hybrid fuzz thing. Not sure if it's just how I built it but, I doesn't really seem to stand out from the other hybrid fuzz boxes I've built recently.

Went with a All-Seeing eye theme since "focus" fuzz. Complete with LED in the pupil. Satisfied with the graphic. At some point I will audition more Ge transistors to see if something closer to that 79 hfe makes a difference.

Attachments

• 20231005_175957.jpg
    20231005_175957.jpg
    492.9 KB · Views: 30
  • 20231005_171454.jpg
    20231005_171454.jpg
    481.8 KB · Views: 19
  • 20231005_171258.jpg
    20231005_171258.jpg
    564.2 KB · Views: 28
  • 20231005_180006.jpg
    20231005_180006.jpg
    379.6 KB · Views: 30
Another one on my path to build "hybrid" fuzz boxes. This one seemed to get a good amount of hype.

It does the hybrid fuzz thing. Not sure if it's just how I built it but, I doesn't really seem to stand out from the other hybrid fuzz boxes I've built recently.
What would you say is the “hybrid fuzz thing?” And what other hybrid fuzzes have you built? Which ones do you like? I built this recently and I have been meaning get out my Supro Fuzz to compare.

What would you say is the “hybrid fuzz thing?” And what other hybrid fuzzes have you built? Which ones do you like? I built this recently and I have been meaning get out my Supro Fuzz to compare.
I mean by the hybrid fuzz thing is getting both the characteristics of the Ge and Si transistors. The warm, round Ge tones mixed with the cutting, bright Si tones.
I did the Effects Layouts Illithid which I really like. The Cornish G2 was meh. I've done the Supro. The AionFx is kind of hybrid. It uses a Ge rangemaster into a silicon Muff. Also the Effects Layout Truth Bender is a nice one.

Here is a demo of mine I just threw together on my mobile phone
That was a great demo! I already have one of these in the queue, but now I have a much better idea what it is and I’m looking forward to building it.

I mean by the hybrid fuzz thing is getting both the characteristics of the Ge and Si transistors. The warm, round Ge tones mixed with the cutting, bright Si tones.
I did the Effects Layouts Illithid which I really like. The Cornish G2 was meh. I've done the Supro. The AionFx is kind of hybrid. It uses a Ge rangemaster into a silicon Muff. Also the Effects Layout Truth Bender is a nice one.
Thanks. The ILLITHID seems interesting!

Back