adding a high pass to the seabed delay

maertz13

hoping to get a bass rolloff knob to the delay'd signal. it's just so murky, and i'd like to be able to dial that out a bit. other schematics have a passive filter either before or after the mix control.

the cataclysm delay has a BMP style tone stack, and that's too much. electric canary's iridescent has a high end rolloff. so it seems easy enough to just tack into place. am i overthinking or underthinking this?

could i add this section from the gravitation to a seabed before the mix control?

1700433647230-png.60921
The schematic snippet you chose is not really what you want, IMO.
That parallel-caps setup is more for adding bass, not getting rid of it.

I'd recommend a High-Pass Filter (HPF) added to the delayed signal before it's mixed back with the dry.

electric canary's iridescent has a high end rolloff. so it seems easy enough to just tack into place.

I thought you were trying to get rid of the murky bass on the repeats. Why and where would you tack this in?

The schematic snippet you chose is not really what you want, IMO.
That parallel-caps setup is more for adding bass, not getting rid of it.

I'd recommend a High-Pass Filter (HPF) added to the delayed signal before it's mixed back with the dry.

I thought you were trying to get rid of the murky bass on the repeats. Why and where would you tack this in?
in the gravitation reverb it cuts bass. or rather that's the sound we hear. very well could be adding it.

I'm just throwing mud at a wall at this point because I've tried a couple things and none have worked and this thread went unanswered.

if I go from the pad that should be pin 3 of the mix pot to a HPF, which feels like it should be cap to leg 3 of a pot, leg 1 to ground, where do I get back to pin 3 of the mix control? or can I just take it onto pin 3 of the mix control?

the pedal is already built, so there's no breadboarding I can do. just want to know how to add this one control and I'm gold

Stumbled across this thread again. Sorry, I must've been asleep when I posted here previously; I definitely didn't get the gist of it before (and it's really not that hard to do so). Maybe I was fixated on the reverb or something, and my own use of two caps on a pot, which is usually to add bass on the input of something, not to bleed it off...

Anyway... SEABED DELAY, not Gravitation Reverb.

Yes, adding the Gravitation-style thing could work on the SEABED delay repeats; did you try implementing it and if so where?

if I go from the pad that should be pin 3 of the mix pot to a HPF, which feels like it should be cap to leg 3 of a pot, leg 1 to ground, where do I get back to pin 3 of the mix control? or can I just take it onto pin 3 of the mix control?
Pin 3 is feeding the repeats back into the board, so...
A cap to replace the leg of the pot's pin 3, then a resistor from the board's pad to ground.
Snip leg 3, get out some alligator clips and experiment with values until you've got what you want.

SEABED HPF MOD.png

Perhaps some other approaches are out there?

Merlin Blencowe mentions getting some bass cut on the repeats.

Electrosmash, helpful as always...
C9 and C10 of the Seabed schematic could be reduced to get some highs back, but that would also let more noise through.

Maybe some info can be gleaned from the tagboard boys'n'girls.

Then this...

@maertz13

VFE BLUEPRINT BRIGHT.png

VFE had a Blueprint Bright delay at one point.

"The 'Blueprint Bright' made a simple modification to cut bass response into the delay to produce a brighter overall tone."

If you've got or know someone who's got the VFE Motherload schematics, it might be in there. If not, check out the schematic in the MadBean PDF of the regular Blueprint, as it has "An internal trimpot allows you to adjust the blend to brighten or darken the tone to your taste."

That just might be your solution, shoe-horn the VFE trimmer into your Seabed.

Further to cutting bass, you could stick in two HPFs in a row (video time-stamped, play a minute or so to the 5-min mark):

Might get you a better "knee" to the HPF.

so i finally understand part of what my issue was. i was trying to add this to the mix control, not the end of the repeats.

pin 3 of the repeat pot is going to a 33n, then a 5.1k, then to pin 1 of a 10k pot. pin 2 to ground. pin 3 to the repeat return (formerly pin 3) on the board. annnnnnd i've finally got delayed signal, but it's a single repeat no matter where the knob is and the filter i've created is having no effect at all. what do i have wrong this time?

simplified it significantly and followed the diagram you drew. put the resistor on a switch so i could A/B and also have 2 modes. and seemingly all it's doing is cutting the repeats short and not actually changing the frequency response at all

Back