AION ONYX (slow gear)

Paradox916

IMG_9632.jpeg
As a continuation on my detour from digital ( more on that adventure soon…) I have had an interest in the slow gear as I have been kind on an ambient kick lately and building pedals to facilitate that ( one of the reasons I started chasing the digital 🐇.) so I had to look at the slow gear, and one of the complaints people had about the SG-1 was that they wish it had a longer swell time. So naturally I started looking at schematics and looking for mods, and after doing some reasonable amount of homework and figured out the perfect mod @Guardians of the analog pointed out to me that Aion fx had Onyx with the exact same mod….🤣 maybe I should have looked over there first 🤷🏻. At least now I don’t have to worry about a bunch of off board work and it will be cleaner…
IMG_9627.jpeg
The release switch allows you you select different speeds of the swell and as per the docs you can even up the value of the caps on the release switch if you would like longer swell times but I found the values in the BOM to be perfect for me were you can still get that cello like sound but still get a decently longer swell, ( anything longer I could alway use my volume pedal ).
IMG_9630.jpeg
Having never build an AION board I buggered up the knob labels (that’s what I get for doing a board change mid build and not double checking design 🤬…. I really need to stop doing this!) but other than being a moron I managed to build it with no operational problems it sounds exactly like I wanted and is a really fun pedal

Last edited:
This is slays dude, glad I was able to twist your arm on this one 🤣
regular-show.gif

Looks sick. I can't wait for the demo when you post it later
All I have to do now is remember how to play
Pedal looks awesome. Aion has some great boards their halo is a very nice muff. I just can’t stand the switch daughterboard with power supply components. I just always think about how it’s gonna suck if the switch dies.
Same, that’s the one thing I wish AION did a little differently but I’ll cross that bridge if I ever get there.
IMG_9651.gif
This is slays dude, glad I was able to twist your arm on this one 🤣
regular-show.gif
Thanks man, I’m glad you did🤣
IMG_9650.gif
But seriously thanks buddy!🤣
Nice. I casually dismissed this board. I need to go back and have another look.
To me it’s definitely a worthwhile build. Even if it doesn’t get used a lot.

Thanks for the love on this one guys!

That’s hot and gives feels like a tongue punch in the……. aaaaaanyways…. How is the note decay? I’ve noticed with my procrastinator that if I don’t have some sort of compression before it the the notes get glitchy on the decay.

Great build, causes greater GAS...

I try not to overlap.
I have a BYOC Lazy Sprocket board, 'cause at the time that's what was available for this circuit.
I got a PPCB Procrastinator board for an all PPCB multi-fx build (want to recreate Pauleo1214-build.)

Builds such as yours make me avoid the Build Reports subforum — 'cause now I want an Onyx.
Even if I get the Onyx... well, kinda like how buying a guitar-hero's axe won't make me a better player.

I try not to overlap.
I have a BYOC Lazy Sprocket board, 'cause at the time that's what was available for this circuit.
I got a PPCB Procrastinator board for an all PPCB multi-fx build (want to recreate Pauleo1214-build.)

Builds such as yours make me avoid the Build Reports subforum — 'cause now I want an Onyx.
Even if I get the Onyx... well, kinda like how buying a guitar-hero's axe won't make me a better player.
Wait till you see my onyx 🤣🤣🤣 Rob has personal feeling about my enclosure design 🤡

That’s hot and gives feels like a tongue punch in the……. aaaaaanyways…. How is the note decay? I’ve noticed with my procrastinator that if I don’t have some sort of compression before it the the notes get glitchy on the decay.
I believe most of the glitchy note decay can be dialed out with the trimmer, after settling the onyx I don’t recall hearing the glitchy decay but I haven’t sat down and really played it a lot yet.

I try not to overlap.

The mod is cheap and easy to do to the porcastinator if you really wanted to, I’m glad I can inspire others to build.
Wait till you see my onyx 🤣🤣🤣 Rob has personal feeling about my enclosure design 🤡
🥵😻….🤣

Have just finished this project yesterday, works just great with a bigger cap instead of 470n, but I just wonder if it's possible to add a fading-in LED parallel to attack time, or the rising sound.

Have just finished this project yesterday, works just great with a bigger cap instead of 470n, but I just wonder if it's possible to add a fading-in LED parallel to attack time, or the rising sound.
The 680n in the stock position still works well for staccato type stuff and agreed the 10uf is pretty great for slow swells I’m not sure if any longer of a swell would really be needed but every one has different needs and styles for sure. As far as the LED goes I’m really not sure, but I am inclined to think that’s not going to do what you want and could possibly effect the actual signal In perhaps a negative way…. Just a guess without actually looking at the schematic.

The 680n in the stock position still works well for staccato type stuff and agreed the 10uf is pretty great for slow swells I’m not sure if any longer of a swell would really be needed but every one has different needs and styles for sure. As far as the LED goes I’m really not sure, but I am inclined to think that’s not going to do what you want and could possibly effect the actual signal In perhaps a negative way…. Just a guess without actually looking at the schematic.
You are right with the led, i tried probing several points but no luck. I think ill opt it out for this project and use a regular on off led.

Back