Any bassist recommendations?

chris.knudson

I'm a bassist, and I'm new to pedal building. I've built a lot of awesome guitar pedals that the guitarists in my band love, but I've only found a couple that I love (mostly boost and compression pedals) on my board. Are there any bass players here that have pedals that they love for the bass the I should build?

Some I've found that work well for me are the
* XC Phase
* Mofeta preamp
* Magnetron delay

It depends though on how traditional you are as a bassist. For some any sort of delay or swoosh is out of the question.

Circulator is a great phaser that works well on bass! There's also the War Scythe, which is a Hoof Reaper. As you might be able to tell, I like EQD

Ppcb pedals on my board now:
Curds and whey, frequency interchange, equilux, Gnat (dizzy elk mod), cordyceps, viib, daydream, low tide, engineer's thumb, ocelot, kliché mini (cdb mod).

Notable ones that have had a fair amount of time in use:
Cream pie, snuffy, eq anyone?, unicab, octorock, woodpecker, chop shop, and the many that I'm forgetting.

Last edited:
Ppcb pedals on my board now:
Curds and whey, frequency interchange, equilux, Gnat (dizzy elk mod), cordyceps, viib, daydream, low tide, engineer's thumb, ocelot, kliché mini (cdb mod).

Notable ones that have had a fair amount of time in use:
Cream pie, snuffy, eq anyone?, unicab, octorock, woodpecker, chop shop, and the many that I'm forgetting.
Cool, thanks. I have a woodpecker on my bench now waiting for the clear coat on the enclosure to cure. I'll have to check out some of these others.

Welcome Chris.

At this rate, we'll soon outnumber the guitarists here.

Without knowing your tastes in music and pedal-preferences overall (utilities? Modulation? Dirt?), makes it tough to make suggestions, but happy to dogpile it.

Lots of threads about modding stuff for bass, such as the bass-modded Klon mentioned above.

Suggestions, going over ground already covered in many instances, take note of the items in ALL CAPS and explore the forum to see what they're about — but they're ALL GOOD ON BASS and would be some of my best choices (though there are plenty more)...

Can't go wrong with the petting zoo's EMU or the OCELOT
UNICAB, to get there, by way of UNISON DOUBLE TRACKER.

COMPlementary to bass... the Boneyard Edition will be your DELEGATE, and if not have a THUMBSUCKER.

Need to filter through a few more bass-sick ideas:
CDXL either version or go quackers with a DUCK BOX. Twins Basel twins, for any LOWBALLER. Touch choices, but you must pick your POISON APPLE. One more WADDLE BOX to pour through another possible option.

EQ ANYONE? That then this, if all things remain EQUILUX MINI, but above all FREQUENCY INTERCHANGE FILTER. I cannot stress that last one highly enough for good bass mint-content. Maybe consider getting BOX AND ALL.

Surfari through the FV-1 offerings, lots of cool things to be had there, many of which come in Pythagoras or Arachnid.

Sail the seas of modulation to BYZANTIUM, be aware of the LOW TIDE as this is when the WOODPECKERs come to drink in the CHOP SHOP. That might XC PHASE you.

Singing in the ACID RAIN, that's ARKAIM, it's not so AWFUL WAFFEL. Don't let the BAYONET pass you buy, or by the b'ye a BUTT HEAD for butt loads of Grunge-y goodness. If you're hungry partake in COLOSSAL MUFFIN, it is epic, and chomp on a GERKIN. Equally delicious is CURDS AND WHEY, with a CREAM PIE, a MUFFIN or a whole MUFFIN FACTORY for dessert. The KEWPIE sauce isn't ready, but will be worth the wait, I think. If that's too much to choke down have a sip of the CREAMERY.

Don a DEATH CAP or go DEOFOL, or things might get DESOLATE. Everybody knows FAT BOTTOM BOOST makes the rockin' world go round. If in doubt, make an EXECUTIVE decision, 'cause FAT PIGGY is in its ivory tower. You should know all the KLICHÉs, OBSIDIOUS and you oughta OCTAROCK OCTAVE. Why not open PANDORA's BOX? Have a look inside, see what's in PARENTHESIS, for PERSICA's sake, by PROPOLIS. If you've got this far, you may have the pedal-building virus and should QUARANTINE.

After all that eatin and fuzzy feelings, SHIKA it up! Tell the world about it in a SIMULCAST. Is it me or is it getting SNUFFY in here? Things must be going SQUIDWARD, if so then maybe there's a TEDDY RUPTURE in store for you. By now you've reached TRANSCENDENCE for a boost and you'll need TWO STICKS OF DERM.

If I haven't already put you to sleep dreaming of a HAARP playing LEPRECHAUN, here's few more ideas for bass playing fun.
Are you a card-carrying ORGAN DONOR? That would be great for a SUPERHETERODYNE RECEIVER, especially for an UNDERMINOR. All that pedal-building, you'll need some TOOLS, not to mention some UTILITY such as the 3-CHANNEL MIXER and 3-CHANNEL SPLITTER. If you've built even half of my suggestions you'll want a DUAL EFFECTS LOOP SWITCH and a HANDY EXPRESSION CONTROLLER. For silent practice and to really hear well the pedals you've built play through a HEADPHONE AMPLIFIER.

Wah'n last thing, and it's a real TEAR JERKER!

Well that's enough of my insomniac rambling.

Honourable Mentions:

Peruse Chuck's Boneyard subforum, there's a few bass tweaks here and good solid info all 'round.

SushiBox/Conspiracy to Commit Electronics (check out the subforum)
Black Eye w Bass Mod​
Nobelium​
...others...​

I'm a bassist, and I'm new to pedal building. I've built a lot of awesome guitar pedals that the guitarists in my band love, but I've only found a couple that I love (mostly boost and compression pedals) on my board. Are there any bass players here that have pedals that they love for the bass the I should build?
Welcome to the forum!

I'd start here: https://www.pedalpcb.com/product/pro-filter/

And then probably the Frequency Interchange and Equilux. But that's just me, as EQ is by far the most useful thing for my personal bass playing situations.

Note that the original Anderton version of the Pro Filter is the only one of these that I've yet built, although I've done plenty of my own takes on the other two.

Welcome Chris.

At this rate, we'll soon outnumber the guitarists here.

Without knowing your tastes in music and pedal-preferences overall (utilities? Modulation? Dirt?), makes it tough to make suggestions, but happy to dogpile it.

Lots of threads about modding stuff for bass, such as the bass-modded Klon mentioned above.

Suggestions, going over ground already covered in many instances, take note of the items in ALL CAPS and explore the forum to see what they're about — but they're ALL GOOD ON BASS and would be some of my best choices (though there are plenty more)...

Can't go wrong with the petting zoo's EMU or the OCELOT
UNICAB, to get there, by way of UNISON DOUBLE TRACKER.

COMPlementary to bass... the Boneyard Edition will be your DELEGATE, and if not have a THUMBSUCKER.

Need to filter through a few more bass-sick ideas:
CDXL either version or go quackers with a DUCK BOX. Twins Basel twins, for any LOWBALLER. Touch choices, but you must pick your POISON APPLE. One more WADDLE BOX to pour through another possible option.

EQ ANYONE? That then this, if all things remain EQUILUX MINI, but above all FREQUENCY INTERCHANGE FILTER. I cannot stress that last one highly enough for good bass mint-content. Maybe consider getting BOX AND ALL.

Surfari through the FV-1 offerings, lots of cool things to be had there, many of which come in Pythagoras or Arachnid.

Sail the seas of modulation to BYZANTIUM, be aware of the LOW TIDE as this is when the WOODPECKERs come to drink in the CHOP SHOP. That might XC PHASE you.

Singing in the ACID RAIN, that's ARKAIM, it's not so AWFUL WAFFEL. Don't let the BAYONET pass you buy, or by the b'ye a BUTT HEAD for butt loads of Grunge-y goodness. If you're hungry partake in COLOSSAL MUFFIN, it is epic, and chomp on a GERKIN. Equally delicious is CURDS AND WHEY, with a CREAM PIE, a MUFFIN or a whole MUFFIN FACTORY for dessert. The KEWPIE sauce isn't ready, but will be worth the wait, I think. If that's too much to choke down have a sip of the CREAMERY.

Don a DEATH CAP or go DEOFOL, or things might get DESOLATE. Everybody knows FAT BOTTOM BOOST makes the rockin' world go round. If in doubt, make an EXECUTIVE decision, 'cause FAT PIGGY is in its ivory tower. You should know all the KLICHÉs, OBSIDIOUS and you oughta OCTAROCK OCTAVE. Why not open PANDORA's BOX? Have a look inside, see what's in PARENTHESIS, for PERSICA's sake, by PROPOLIS. If you've got this far, you may have the pedal-building virus and should QUARANTINE.

After all that eatin and fuzzy feelings, SHIKA it up! Tell the world about it in a SIMULCAST. Is it me or is it getting SNUFFY in here? Things must be going SQUIDWARD, if so then maybe there's a TEDDY RUPTURE in store for you. By now you've reached TRANSCENDENCE for a boost and you'll need TWO STICKS OF DERM.

If I haven't already put you to sleep dreaming of a HAARP playing LEPRECHAUN, here's few more ideas for bass playing fun.
Are you a card-carrying ORGAN DONOR? That would be great for a SUPERHETERODYNE RECEIVER, especially for an UNDERMINOR. All that pedal-building, you'll need some TOOLS, not to mention some UTILITY such as the 3-CHANNEL MIXER and 3-CHANNEL SPLITTER. If you've built even half of my suggestions you'll want a DUAL EFFECTS LOOP SWITCH and a HANDY EXPRESSION CONTROLLER. For silent practice and to really hear well the pedals you've built play through a HEADPHONE AMPLIFIER.

Wah'n last thing, and it's a real TEAR JERKER!

Well that's enough of my insomniac rambling.

Honourable Mentions:

Peruse Chuck's Boneyard subforum, there's a few bass tweaks here and good solid info all 'round.

SushiBox/Conspiracy to Commit Electronics (check out the subforum)
Black Eye w Bass Mod​
Nobelium​
...others...​
Well said! Holy FORNICUS, there's a lot to try in this thread.

Slam Stewart, Pops Foster, Milt The Judge Hinton, Wellman Breaux/Broad, Willie Dixon...

More recently:
Alain Caron, Geddy Lee, Rob Wright, Ronnie Hayward, Don Thompson, Rick Danko, Pete Traynor, Jim Creeggan, Fred Turner...

A few that like effects:
Doug Wimbish, Miles Mosley, Charnett Moffet

Back