I'm completely new to pedal building and small electronics in general, any recommendations on where to start?

the dude

I've been wanting to get into building pedals for a couple years now and I finally have the time and money to get started. Do you guys have any tips/resources that could be helpful to a complete noobie.

Don't go too cheap on your soldering iron (or solder).

Start with a relatively simple build until you're comfortable with the process.

The StompBoxParts Rat kit wouldn't be a bad first build:
Thanks for the advice! I already have a pretty good soldering iron so that wont be a problem and from the research I have done I've seen the pro co rat pops up a good bit as a first build so I will look into it.

Thanks for the advice! I already have a pretty good soldering iron so that wont be a problem and from the research I have done I've seen the pro co rat pops up a good bit as a first build so I will look into it.
Looks like that kit may be out of stock. I would actually recommend finding an equivalent kit at AionFX.com. I had never done anything whatsoever with electronics this time last year and I purchased a kit from them and the documentation was really excellent at helping me identify materials, giving tips on how to install them, etc. And, to boot, they come with a really nice finished enclosure.

I found the documentation so helpful that, once I had completed one of their kits, I immediately was able to switch over to buying PedalPCB circuit boards and sourcing my own components and enclosures – now, less than a year later, I’ve built approximately 30 or so pedals. You can see some of my builds over in the Build Report forum.

Maybe write Kevin over at AionFX and ask him what he would recommend for a first build. I built the Radian kit which was pretty simple and straightforward – but a treble booster may not be what you were looking for.

Lastly, the forum you are visiting now has been an incredible resource for me, full of kind and helpful people. No matter which kit or PCB you start with, you’re going to find this place to be an amazing community to be part of.

Mike

First of all welcome!

My first project going down this rabbit whole was a kit build from General Guitar Gadgets. THey have pretty good build docs and walk you through the full process. I'm sure you could find some youtube videos for a similar process.

My overall advice? Take your time and enjoy the process. There will be a point where you will need to troubleshoot. We can help you here.

If you want kits, StewMac has some decent ones, but unless you have coupon codes/gift cards, a bit pricey.
Also the BYOC kits aren’t bad either, but again, like Aion and StewMac, not the cheapest way to go

But my first suggestion would be the StompBoxParts Fuzz Face kit. It’s using the PedalPCB SiliSmile fuzz board and the silicon transistors aren’t as touchy/rare/expensive as the germanium would be, and it’s a low parts count build. You do have to bias the transistor, but it’s not hard at all. And honestly at the price he charges for his kits, you are barely paying any more than if you sourced the parts yourself.

Looks like that kit may be out of stock. I would actually recommend finding an equivalent kit at AionFX.com. I had never done anything whatsoever with electronics this time last year and I purchased a kit from them and the documentation was really excellent at helping me identify materials, giving tips on how to install them, etc. And, to boot, they come with a really nice finished enclosure.

I found the documentation so helpful that, once I had completed one of their kits, I immediately was able to switch over to buying PedalPCB circuit boards and sourcing my own components and enclosures – now, less than a year later, I’ve built approximately 30 or so pedals. You can see some of my builds over in the Build Report forum.

Maybe write Kevin over at AionFX and ask him what he would recommend for a first build. I built the Radian kit which was pretty simple and straightforward – but a treble booster may not be what you were looking for.

Lastly, the forum you are visiting now has been an incredible resource for me, full of kind and helpful people. No matter which kit or PCB you start with, you’re going to find this place to be an amazing community to be part of.

Mike
Yeah I noticed that they were out of stock so I was already looking at getting the AionFX one since I saw a comment you made on a similar thread recommending them. Thanks!

If you want kits, StewMac has some decent ones, but unless you have coupon codes/gift cards, a bit pricey.
Also the BYOC kits aren’t bad either, but again, like Aion and StewMac, not the cheapest way to go

But my first suggestion would be the StompBoxParts Fuzz Face kit. It’s using the PedalPCB SiliSmile fuzz board and the silicon transistors aren’t as touchy/rare/expensive as the germanium would be, and it’s a low parts count build. You do have to bias the transistor, but it’s not hard at all. And honestly at the price he charges for his kits, you are barely paying any more than if you sourced the parts yourself.
Upon looking at the fuzz face kit you recommend I'm considering going with this one as it looks pretty simple. Thanks!

The key skill in pedal building is soldering. Watch a few youtube videos on how to solder and then practice on junk electrical waste until you can easily solder joint after joint and keep the tip clean. Then, and only then, try to build an Aion FX kit.

If your eyesight is less than perfect I also recommend a magnifying headset like this one here. I wouldn't be able to do this hobby without mine.

The key skill in pedal building is soldering. Watch a few youtube videos on how to solder and then practice on junk electrical waste until you can easily solder joint after joint and keep the tip clean. Then, and only then, try to build an Aion FX kit.

If your eyesight is less than perfect I also recommend a magnifying headset like this one here. I wouldn't be able to do this hobby without mine.
I've soldered some before but I certainly wouldn't say I'm any good at it. thanks for the advice!

Acapulco Gold

This was the first build I made and between the low-parts count, step-by-step guide, and how good I think this pedal sounds I would definitely start here all over again

He also goes into each component and how it works, potential modifications etc. really valuable stuff when first getting into building

Last edited:
I'd recommend an OD or distortion circuit for your first build. Fuzzes are all about the transistors and there are some caveats that you need to consider. You can easily make a fuzz but making a good fuzz isn't so easy.

Acapulco Gold

This was the first build I made and between the low-parts count, step-by-step guide, and how good I think this pedal sounds I would definitely start here all over again

He also goes into each component and how it works, potential modifications etc. really valuable stuff when first getting into building
i may go with this one as the Acapulco gold is a pedal I've been wanting anyways.

I'd echo what's been said about the importance of a good soldering station and solder. It's a bit of an investment upfront, but I use this stuff and it's been awesome (and I still have a solid amount left almost two years after ordering it). Don't be afraid to get your iron hot, as taking less time to heat up the solder is actually going to be better for your components than sitting a semi-hot iron on there for too long. I keep mine around 730 degrees and haven't fried anything (yet).

Kits are a great way to get familiar with the whole process. I personally am not a huge fan of the Aion kits simply because I don't like their In/Out jack set up, but everyone's got their own preferences. My first couple builds were from General Guitar Gadgets and BYOC, and they were helpful in getting all the off-board wiring squared away.

Also, make sure you're tinning the ends of your wires before doing all the wiring. It can be a little tedious at times, and takes some extra time, but makes the wiring process way easier overall.

Build all the drives and fuzzes that you want before getting into modulation/time based territory. They aren't necessarily "harder" in terms of what you need to do to make them, they just have way more components and things that can go wrong in the building process, so having an understanding of what the build-process is like before getting into the more complex build territory will be super helpful. Have fun!!

I'd echo what's been said about the importance of a good soldering station and solder. It's a bit of an investment upfront, but I use this stuff and it's been awesome (and I still have a solid amount left almost two years after ordering it). Don't be afraid to get your iron hot, as taking less time to heat up the solder is actually going to be better for your components than sitting a semi-hot iron on there for too long. I keep mine around 730 degrees and haven't fried anything (yet).

Kits are a great way to get familiar with the whole process. I personally am not a huge fan of the Aion kits simply because I don't like their In/Out jack set up, but everyone's got their own preferences. My first couple builds were from General Guitar Gadgets and BYOC, and they were helpful in getting all the off-board wiring squared away.

Also, make sure you're tinning the ends of your wires before doing all the wiring. It can be a little tedious at times, and takes some extra time, but makes the wiring process way easier overall.

Build all the drives and fuzzes that you want before getting into modulation/time based territory. They aren't necessarily "harder" in terms of what you need to do to make them, they just have way more components and things that can go wrong in the building process, so having an understanding of what the build-process is like before getting into the more complex build territory will be super helpful. Have fun!!
Very good tips! And let me add if I may, if you don’t want to spring for a station yet (or don’t have the space for one) at the very least check out the Weller W60P temperature controlled irons. Like a station consistency on a budget

Very good tips! And let me add if I may, if you don’t want to spring for a station yet (or don’t have the space for one) at the very least check out the Weller W60P temperature controlled irons. Like a station consistency on a budget
I guess I can understand the space thing. If you need to put it in a toolbox when you're done, a station is no good, but budget wise, I think the ubiquitous blue station is worth the extra $30. It's been a while since I used an all-in-one, but my guess is the station will heat you up a lot faster.

EDIT: I'm bad at math. $50 more. But still...

I guess I can understand the space thing. If you need to put it in a toolbox when you're done, a station is no good, but budget wise, I think the ubiquitous blue station is worth the extra $30. It's been a while since I used an all-in-one, but my guess is the station will heat you up a lot faster.

EDIT: I'm bad at math. $50 more. But still...

I agree that the station heats up faster. Back when I bought my W60P, the difference between it and a decent station was like 2-3x. Used it for over 20yrs on the original tip. Still use it on occasion when I want/need to do a quick fix/parts swap etc and don’t want to set everything up.

But yea, after getting the Hakko this year, if you can swing it and have the space, it’s definitely worth the extra $$

Back