Auditorium Alternatives (out of stock)

erm

Hi all, I'd like to have a crack at building a few pedals. I've ordered a HPF/LPF kit from Musikding to start off.

Having a test setup similar to the auditorium board seems like a good idea, but it's out of stock.

What are some good alternatives?

Given the limited number of components, I could order them and have a go at hardwiring them together, any tips on how to do that?

Or perhaps just a battery snap with some alligator clips is enough in the meantime.

Otherwise there are a couple of other kits, which might be a good idea for someone who doesn't yet know what he's gotten himself into.

Jeds Peds Test Bed https://www.jedspeds.co.uk/product-page/the-test-bed

Fuzz Dog Simple Tester https://shop.pedalparts.co.uk/product/simpletester

I'm on the other side of the planet - so shipping is likely to be expensive.

Cheers!

Yeah, they're pretty easy to build. I've seen guys use old pedal that are broken. They pull the board out and run alligator clips wires through one of the vacant potentiometer holes or led hole. Then they just solder the alligator clip wires to the in and out of the switch and to the + & -. Then you just hook up the alligator clips to the in, out, + & - wire from your pcb.

Also out of stock!

Another idea, would it make sense for met to get a Power I/O Module and 3PDT Breakout Board, and the components for an Auditorium and mount it on a block. Having everything labelled, and lined up might make it easier for me not to mix up the wiring.

Is the fuse wired to the positive side of the circuit? (simple questions - complete beginner here!)

No need for a fuse. You just need a true bypass switch, and input and output jack and a power connector (a battery clip will even do the trick for 9v pedals - just make sure that the center pin is negative). Whatever circuit you hook up to it (if it's properly designed) should have some kind of polarity protection on it.

@erm — Which are you getting? I've got both the Auditorium test platform and the ProtoBoard Micro.

As Paradox916 pointed out in post #3, the Protoboard has everything you need.

I use the ProtoBoard Micro for auditioning, for signal-tracing, for breadboarding of course and in other ways I've forgotten and I'm sure I'll think up some new ones.

Unfortunately I put through an order just before it came back in stock.

I found a few articles explaining standard pedal wiring. I think I can figure out how to build a test harness without a PCB. Probably good to understand the wiring better anyway. But I may pick up an Auditorium with my next order, depending how that goes.

Might leave the breadboarding for another day, once I've got a few builds under my belt.

I always just build them into the enclosure because I never make mistakes. Can you imagine what a pain it would be if you did make a mistake? Ha! I wouldn't wanna be that guy!

Back