In Search Of… (post the obscure parts you need help finding)

Bricksnbeatles

Member known well
Might as well have an “In Search Of” thread for posting about the obscure and hard to find parts we need, and hopefully someone else knows of a source for em.

Obsolete ICs and transistors? Specific hardware desires? Weird cap values? Whatever you can’t find, ask about it, and we can help each other out in our searches!

I’ll start:

1. Large bat toggle switches (just like this) in SPDT and on-on-on DPDT forms
  2. Any resistors that are BLACK in color, and are roughly the size of standard 1/2W resistors.
    • I’ve found a few mil-spec ones on digikey that might be correct, but it’s just a stock image in black and white so they might not actually be black, and the price X min-quantity is too high to jump blind on.
    • I’ve seen black Carbon Comps, but they seem to be 1/2w and bigger, which are equivalent to 1w film resistors in size, so too big.
  3. Good quality spst arcade-style momentary pushbuttons that are aluminum/steel, not plastic

Might as well have an “In Search Of” thread for posting about the obscure and hard to find parts we need, and hopefully someone else knows of a source for em.

Obsolete ICs and transistors? Specific hardware desires? Weird cap values? Whatever you can’t find, ask about it, and we can help each other out in our searches!

I’ll start:

1. Large bat toggle switches (just like this) in SPDT and on-on-on DPDT forms
  2. Any resistors that are BLACK in color, and are roughly the size of standard 1/2W resistors.
    • I’ve found a few mil-spec ones on digikey that might be correct, but it’s just a stock image in black and white so they might not actually be black, and the price X min-quantity is too high to jump blind on.
    • I’ve seen black Carbon Comps, but they seem to be 1/2w and bigger, which are equivalent to 1w film resistors in size, so too big.
  3. Good quality spst arcade-style momentary pushbuttons that are aluminum/steel, not plasti

Amtrans and Tepro both make black resistors. They are eye-wateringly expensive, but they look really f’n cool. There’s a hi-fi parts shop west of Toronto where I get some harder to find bits like https://partsconnexion.com/products/tepro-resistor-100k-ohm-0-5w-ra-series-1-tolerance

I have the board-version that allows for an Alfa SMD IC. ✅

I need to order the pots, some 1N914 and stock up on some resistor values of which the Squishy needs a 3k9.

Dagnabbit, almost forgot the 78L06. I've got tons of VRegs but must've thought "Oh, I don't need an 06" whenever I've been ordering — but I need minimum 3. Surely I must have some, but just haven't come across them yet while cleaning/sorting/cataloguing my parts-stash-sty.

Lots of L12, L05 and...

Amtrans and Tepro both make black resistors. They are eye-wateringly expensive, but they look really f’n cool. There’s a hi-fi parts shop west of Toronto where I get some harder to find bits like https://partsconnexion.com/products/tepro-resistor-100k-ohm-0-5w-ra-series-1-tolerance

Damn! Those are pricy, but maybe worth it at least just for this one pedal I’m making with an exposed PCB and all stealth black components. I thought about just spraypainting 1/2w resistors black and then hand-labeling them with a silver fine point pen, but for a fuzz it would be what, like $15 in resistors? A lot, but not exactly breaking the bank for a single vanity project.

DAMN good idea for a thread...

I still need
RUEF185
for my Protoboard. Tayda's been out for donkeys...

Lots of other bits and bobs, but I'll start with that.

And a BA662A
You don’t need the RUEF185— I got another fuse from Tayda that’s identical in specs that I’ve used in both of my Protoboard builds.

You have the board version which has the SMD footprint which is missing some connections to things like Vref and Out on the through hole IC..

If you want to try, let me know and I’ll tell you what you need to jumper where..

Damn! Those are pricy, but maybe worth it at least just for this one pedal I’m making with an exposed PCB and all stealth black components. I thought about just spraypainting 1/2w resistors black and then hand-labeling them with a silver fine point pen, but for a fuzz it would be what, like $15 in resistors? A lot, but not exactly breaking the bank for a single vanity project.

You don’t need the RUEF185— I got another fuse from Tayda that’s identical in specs that I’ve used in both of my Protoboard builds.

Screenshot_20231021_134152_Gallery.jpg

I'm in the same boat. I salvaged some transistors and other old parts from some broken tech from my grandads house and thought I'd build a few vanity fuzzes too. I'm trying to decide which appropriately silly resistors to go for too.

Any resistors that are BLACK in color, and are roughly the size of standard 1/2W resistors.

I don't know if they're stocked anywhere but TT Elec / Welwyn RC65 series fit the bill. RC55 are 1/4w but aren't hard to find (~$2 ea on mouser). The Tepro linked above is from their TB series for what its worth

I need to order the pots, some 1N914 and stock up on some resistor values of which the Squishy needs a 3k9.

Dagnabbit, almost forgot the 78L06. I've got tons of VRegs but must've thought "Oh, I don't need an 06" whenever I've been ordering — but I need minimum 3. Surely I must have some, but just haven't come across them yet while cleaning/sorting/cataloguing my parts-stash-sty.

Lots of L12, L05 and...
That's the first revision that the smd IC does not work on😑 that's what I sent to everyone sorry

Back