Auditorium Test Platform Question

joelorigo

I bought one of these recently and I'm at the stage in my first build since to give it a try. What's you process in connecting the newly assemble PCB to the Platform? Do you have wires always connected to the Platform and solder to the PCB, test, and desolder from PCB? Ot use the wires that are gong to be on the finished PCB?

Last edited:
I just use the wires that I have already soldered to the PCB. Then I just plug the other end into the various receptacles on the test board. That way, once everything’s working, I can just disconnect the wires from the test terminals and go straight to connecting the wires to the 3PDT and the DC jack.

It’s just worlds easier to go ahead and solder the wires to the board since they’ll need to be there anyhow and then just use the screw terminals to connect it to the test platform rather than dealing with connecting wires preinstalled on the test board to the PCB each time.

I have breadboard jumpers permanently screwed in the terminal blocks. I connect them to the circuit board wires with alligator clips. If the PCB isn't wired yet, I stick the jumpers in the pads at an angle and secure them with painter's tape. Ghetto and wonky but I only need to test a board for a few seconds.

Cool, I will look into this thing called breadboard jumpers! Thanks
Breadboarding is a game changer. Not only can you test and mod circuits before buying the PCB (or not buying it and saving money if you don't like the tone), you can also build circuits when you are not in a position to build. I can't afford to build very often so I "fantasize" on breadboards.

I have breadboard jumpers permanently screwed in the terminal blocks. I connect them to the circuit board wires with alligator clips. If the PCB isn't wired yet, I stick the jumpers in the pads at an angle and secure them with painter's tape. Ghetto and wonky but I only need to test a board for a few seconds.
I'm also trying to test a populated but unwired PCB with no pots using the breadboard. I read somewhere on here that using toothpicks can help secure jumper wires to PCB holes. Has anybody found a better method, especially for the PCB pot holes?

PXL_20231128_222204944.jpg PXL_20231128_222212388.jpg PXL_20231128_222222708.jpg PXL_20231128_222242060.jpg

I hope these pics give you some ideas. The cable is just male-male DuPont wires and the foam that holds the PCB is 2 pieces of foam I glued together that came in a Seymour Duncan JB box lol. They were the perfect height to sit on top of the I/O jacks of the Auditorium while also allowing the first row of pots to rest on it and keep from tipping over constantly.

I got the DuPont wires from Tayda for stupid cheap. For the IN, OUT, GND, and SW connections I taped 2 sets together just to kinda reduce the clutter and and fumbling around when connecting to a PCB. I just stick the wires into the PCB and I've had no trouble getting things to work, no tack soldering or anything need it, plug and play!

i just use the wires that I using for my offboard wiring.. I leave them long so i can flip the pcb over if needed... after done I trim them back to size once i have it boxed...
I have been doing the opposite, having long-ish wires permanently clamped into the platform and soldering them to the board with a little solder, then de-soldering. I think your way makes more sense.

picture?

Not at the moment. But it's very simple. Take male-male breadboard jumpers and stick em in the terminal blocks. When you want to test a board either stick them in the pads on the board or connect them to wires soldered to the board with alligator clips

Last edited:
Not at the moment. But it's very simple. Take make-male breadboard jumpers and stick em in the terminal blocks. When you want to test a board either stick them in the pads on the board or connect them to wires soldered to the board with alligator clips

This is how I use mine as well.

Back