Bass Big Muff Pi

You can build most standard big muff variants with that PCB (Russian, Triangle, Rams Head, etc.), but if you mean the one with the direct out and a bass boost/dry switch, you can see the circuit here on freestomboxes.

As you can see, it is a bit more involved circuit wise. Idk what they were smoking over at EHX, but they made it “bass” by doubling up on every single cap in the regular Big Muff Pi. Literally, two whole caps where every one would normally be.

You could try to emulate it by just putting one cap equal to the value of the two. Caps in parallel result in the sum of their capacitance. So for the two 100nF coupling caps, 220nF would be a common value that fits there. Ignore the bass boost and dry circuits, use the resistors as per the schematic. Some values are missing as explained in the post.

The Big Muff is a great circuit to experiment with different caps and diodes. I suggest you try stuff out on a breadboard and see what works best for you.

You can build most standard big muff variants with that PCB (Russian, Triangle, Rams Head, etc.), but if you mean the one with the direct out and a bass boost/dry switch, you can see the circuit here on freestomboxes.

As you can see, it is a bit more involved circuit wise. Idk what they were smoking over at EHX, but they made it “bass” by doubling up on every single cap in the regular Big Muff Pi. Literally, two whole caps where every one would normally be.

You could try to emulate it by just putting one cap equal to the value of the two. Caps in parallel result in the sum of their capacitance. So for the two 100nF coupling caps, 220nF would be a common value that fits there. Ignore the bass boost and dry circuits, use the resistors as per the schematic. Some values are missing as explained in the post.

The Big Muff is a great circuit to experiment with different caps and diodes. I suggest you try stuff out on a breadboard and see what works best for you.
Thanks! I came across the schematic after posting this. I still plan on implementing a blend knob/feature so I don't really need the boost/dry switch.

Back