What is your favorite "Big Muff" circuit, and why?

You should build a PPCB muffin factory/sushi box lab rat/ Aionfx ring stinger all in the same enclosure. All the best pcb suppliers in one very big enclosure
I'd need to throw in a Madbean Flunkee into the mix.
Oh, and some 2knob-jobs from GPCB, just 'cause.

Yea that was a confusing response, I meant that maybe the fact I haven't built one yet is due to my level of interest (or lack there of) of Big Muff music

What is "Big Muff music"?

I like the Muff and other heavy fuzzes, but I'd be willing to bet I'm not into a lot of the music that might be pigeon-holed as being Muff/Heavy-fuzz music.

If I say I'm into "wood-carving", which of the following first comes to mind, if any?

penguin.webp

a0a11c50260540b74696be1d7e0a3da3-1024x576.jpg

71fc4dc6a189536929c70cf3c966f9e9.jpg

6cee5558-28bd-42bc-9668-740644dea94a-082521-gd-MAR_chainsaw19.JPG

Yea, what Harry said. Exactly that. Like, is the Pumpkins' Siamese Dream record "Big Muff Music" because it utilized the hell out of an op-amp muff? That's for you to decide 😄

ive only ever built a swollen pickle. i guess that's some sort of a variant.

given the amount of carry on and enthusiasm for big muff and other fuzzes that have 420 variants and more, i feel like i'm missing out on something truly wholesome and fun...
fuzz just doesn't jive for me :(

I've got a friend who's not into fuzz.

It's a taste thing.

He's not really into pickles either.
I like dill pickles, 'cause I grew up thinking sweet pickles were the only type of pickle there was (the only type in our household, 'cause that's what my Dad liked).

Beer, he's not a beer person either. Neither was I, but somewhere along life's journey I got into beer.

I'm not into woodcarving, but I can appreciate the work of woodcarving friends without having to be into it myself.

You could probably group the JAMs and FFSAFFs and YARs all together...
... and they still wouldn't equal the shear immensity that is the world of YATSs.

I had a Bass Big Muff Pi and I hated it and ended up giving it away. I could never get it to mesh with the 400+. From the comments on here though it sounds like I need to try the Green Russian. I know I have some.boards so maybe I'll give that one a shot one of these days.

Any one which has a modded tone control to be flat or with a sight mid boost. I just hate playing in a band with the stock mid scoop tone control. You disappear.....

I have 2 faves. Dream fuzz with tone bypass because it sounds better to my ears than the notched bmp tone control. And the Acid Rain fuzz because it is “ruder” than a typical muff and it has bass & treble vs the usual bmp tone control. Rude meaning not as smooth, which I prefer.

ive only ever built a swollen pickle. i guess that's some sort of a variant.

given the amount of carry on and enthusiasm for big muff and other fuzzes that have 420 variants and more, i feel like i'm missing out on something truly wholesome and fun...
fuzz just doesn't jive for me :(
The pickle was the only muff I’ve played that I didn’t like.

As far as Muff variants, the Bayonet Fuzz is my favorite. Gives a lot of options and versatility but not option overload. Imo can easily find a good fuzz/distortion tone. To be noted, I have NOT built the Muffin Factory yet. This could be considered the ultimate Muff.

Depends on the guitar and amp. Currently only have one I built that is the Russian, but with a switch to change to Gilmour values. That said, I also have boards ready to go for a Rams head, a triangle and an opamp so I like them all equally (I have a Helix and have an idea on the tonal differences enough to know it’s hard to decide!

Granted I know I could build a muffin factory, but I like the ability to have more than 1 on a board and footswitchable so the discrete boards make sense

I really like the OG Version 1 66#5 as it's super creamy, kinda low-gain, and really nails the stoner metal experience. Also a huge fan of the Jordan Creator Model 6000. It's much more of a distortion than fuzz, very cutting, and excellent for a classic rock, high gain tone. Definitely needs the tone stack modified, though, those mids are super scooped.

Green Russian for overall use - it's the only that doesn't get "farty" on me on baritones and downtuned guitars, which is usually what I'm playing. I like the Ram's Head and Foxy Lady variants but they're pretty context dependent considering they blow out my low end.

I thought I'd like the Hizumitas considering Boris tunes down lower than I do, but I must use hotter pickups or something because it did what all but the Green Russian does to my low ends.

I like op-amp muffs more than transistor muffs, but it's a pretty different sound and probably not the point of this thread.

C7 Green Russian. I built an aion halo, options to build several different versions. After youtubing for a week and trying different ones in stores that was the one.

Back