Boss DS-1 (MIJ) build - transistor boost config vs selecting transistors?

Bucksears

I recently got my prototype DIY build of a MIJ DS-1 going, and noticed two things:

1) It is a LOT thicker than any post-1994 DS-1 I've owned. So much so that I'm looking at reducing one of the coupling caps to make it a bit leaner. I mean, dialed in right, it's competing with a Metal Zone (in a good way) in terms of being a big, tight distortion.

2) Yes, that Q2 transistor boost is SLAMMING the preamp in the classic DS-1 fashion. I've tried selecting transistors with lower HFE (I have all three in the 250-270 range), but I can't keep doing that. After researching the Q2 boost, it seems like the only other option is to change the values of R6/R9 to lower the boosting.

I'm using an ECG1464 (7pin preamp) for the IC, 2SC732TM-GR & 2SC2240-GR transistors and 1S1588 diodes. I removed the JFET switching section and the diode/resistor for the ACA adapter, but left the input/output buffers.

Question: It seems that 'GR-level' transistors (i.e. in the 200-400 hfe range) are standard for this and the SD-1. Is modifying R6/R9 pretty much the best way to adjust the DS-1's Q2 boost? And should I just disregard trying to select lower-hfe transistors if they're already in the 'GR' range?
I've read that Jack Ormans DS-1 'Fat Mod' for R6/R9 reduces the boost level, but is too much of a reduction.

I'll see if I can post pics of my layout tonight.
thx

What's your schematic?

About the thicker sound (A LOT?) and removing the JFET switching, I see some adjustment of the coupling cap, to keep the same low end.
Maybe that's the thing.

What's your schematic?

About the thicker sound (A LOT?) and removing the JFET switching, I see some adjustment of the coupling cap, to keep the same low end.
Maybe that's the thing.
Here's the schematic:

ds-1_schem.jpg

I basically removed/jumpered Q6 and Q7 in my layout, and omitted the related switching section connected to those in the above schematic. I left the cap values the same, except for C9, which I have plugged in lower values; the DS-1A (post-1994) has .068uF in that location, vs .47uF in the MIJ version.
Last night I bumped up R9 to 47R (leaving R6 at 100K) and was a step in the right direction (for me).

EDIT: The schematic above varies slightly from the DS-1 Service Notes I also have, as the service notes have a C24 150pF cap to ground coming off of pin 1 of the IC, and R21 (on the emitter of Q3) is 10K. In the above schematic, C24 does not exist, and R21 is 100K.

Last edited:
2) Yes, that Q2 transistor boost is SLAMMING the preamp in the classic DS-1 fashion. I've tried selecting transistors with lower HFE (I have all three in the 250-270 range), but I can't keep doing that. After researching the Q2 boost, it seems like the only other option is to change the values of R6/R9 to lower the boosting.
HFE does not affect the voltage gain of that stage unless you get a transistor with HFE so low that it's unusable. As @jesuscrisp said, increasing the emitter resistor (R9) will reduce the gain. I've seen mods that bump it up to 470Ω or higher. Here are some mods I did to mine.

Back