Bring out yer Diptrace

Some more utility boards.

A splitter / blender. Jumper one side for a clean blend (no phase switch, let's see how this one works first).
View attachment 49976
A smart relay breakout board. Two relays and a single footswitch. Holding the footswitch turns on the (optional) second relay which you can use as a DPDT for whatever your heart desires.
View attachment 49977
Sweet! I'm just revisiting various utility boards I whipped up during The Plague, as I'm going to need some blender and splitter circuits for a few customer jobs right quick. This one has two inverting inputs and two non-inverting, for instance:

SM_3_3.PNG

SM_3_3_bare.PNG

I love doing little modules like this, time to start doing some pot mounted ones too though.

Runoff Groove's Splitter Blend. Not sure when/if I'll actually get it fabbed. Stealing @Grubb's way of screenshotting with pleasant backgrounds.
Even if you don't get it fabbed, it's good practice and fun to do. Your layout is really nice and clean. And symmetrical, which shouldn't really matter, but does to me.

In turn, I stole the background colour idea from some Pirate Midi product shots. Coral goes so nicely with black.

Even if you don't get it fabbed, it's good practice and fun to do. Your layout is really nice and clean. And symmetrical, which shouldn't really matter, but does to me.

In turn, I stole the background colour idea from some Pirate Midi product shots. Coral goes so nicely with black.

I'd say 1/3 of the time I'm at my computer at work I'm just dicking around laying out PCBs that I won't get made just for the fun of it lmao

Those TH/SMD transistor patterns look great. Tempting to migrate to something similar myself.

Damn all your symmetry on your designs!! I keep trying to convince myself that the Blohm & Voss BV 141 is a beautiful design..

The symmetry is a curse, I would have so many boards fabbed if I could handle how incongruently laid out they are. Also the smt hybrid jfet footprint is the move, definitely helps reduce any “is this build actually worth a jfet” I might get from a board of my own

The symmetry is a curse, I would have so many boards fabbed if I could handle how incongruently laid out they are. Also the smt hybrid jfet footprint is the move, definitely helps reduce any “is this build actually worth a jfet” I might get from a board of my own
Care to share that hybrid jfet footprint? It's on my to do list to create one and that would save me

Those TH/SMD transistor patterns look great. Tempting to migrate to something similar myself.

Damn all your symmetry on your designs!! I keep trying to convince myself that the Blohm & Voss BV 141 is a beautiful design..
The fixation with layout symmetry is quite bemusing to me, it works against a lot of what I've been taught by a few pro audio gear designers. One more reason I may not post that many gut shots, I'm definitely a form follows function sort. Or maybe just lazy! ;)

The fixation with layout symmetry is quite bemusing to me, it works against a lot of what I've been taught by a few pro audio gear designers. One more reason I may not post that many gut shots, I'm definitely a form follows function sort. Or maybe just lazy! ;)
Same, symmetry is cool when you can do it and when it makes sense from a circuit perspective, but I'm more utilitarian in my layouts. I don't think my layouts are ugly, I still try to keep them organized, but I care more about optimized routing and reduced noise than I do about actually making it look nice.

I tried to start that way, then moved to the “follow the audio path” approach and try to keep the audio traces as short as possible. Followed closely by build practicality (a pot surrounded by a mountain of caps? No way!).

I tried to start that way, then moved to the “follow the audio path” approach and try to keep the audio traces as short as possible. Followed closely by build practicality (a pot surrounded by a mountain of caps? No way!).
Yeah, since mods and SMD board rework are such a big part of my workflow I'm still learning those lessons on practicality a lot! And my recent change in focus from onboard preamps and fairly compact bass amp builds to pedals is obviously going to bring some substantial changes to my priorities. But that's what keeps it fresh and fun too!

Same, symmetry is cool when you can do it and when it makes sense from a circuit perspective, but I'm more utilitarian in my layouts. I don't think my layouts are ugly, I still try to keep them organized, but I care more about optimized routing and reduced noise than I do about actually making it look nice.

Killing noise when I can will always be job one, I reckon. I hate, hate, hate white noise with undying passion. If I can even tell a device is on when it's at idle it sucks hard, in what passes for my world. Just another thing I am going to have to let go of a little as I transition back to higher gain guitar widgets and things like modulation effects though. ;)

Killing noise when I can will always be job one, I reckon. I hate, hate, hate white noise with undying passion. If I can even tell a device is on when it's at idle it sucks hard, in what passes for my world. Just another thing I am going to have to let go of a little as I transition back to higher gain guitar widgets and things like modulation effects though. ;)
You can have your cake and eat it too, at least to a degree. I do a couple high-gain designs, and that's one of the things that pushed me to make 4-layer boards the rule rather than the exception. A solid internal ground plane and split power plane and super spaced out signal traces makes a big difference. I still can't claim that they're dead silent, but I feel like the noise floor is pretty damn low.

Diptrace says the free version is limited to 2 signal layers, which makes me think you can do internal plane layers, not positive though as I'm not a Diptrace user (anymore).

You can have your cake and eat it too, at least to a degree. I do a couple high-gain designs, and that's one of the things that pushed me to make 4-layer boards the rule rather than the exception. A solid internal ground plane and split power plane and super spaced out signal traces makes a big difference. I still can't claim that they're dead silent, but I feel like the noise floor is pretty damn low.

Diptrace says the free version is limited to 2 signal layers, which makes me think you can do internal plane layers, not positive though as I'm not a Diptrace user (anymore).

Diptrace can do at least 4 in the premium versions (I imagine even more, but I’ve only played with 4). With JLCPCBs recent price drop on 4 layers I’ve been meaning to try a board like that. Do you still do ground flood pours on the signal layers?

I'm on KiCAD, and already looking at that solution when I go to some DSP based builds. I used to build and/or work on some pretty high gain tube guitar amps, and also have experience with digital SONAR stuff, so I do have some decent tricks up my sleeve already. Typical pedal routing is interesting, especially the I/O side, and brings some new challenges for me. Just have to know when good enough is good enough, I reckon.

Diptrace can do at least 4 in the premium versions (I imagine even more, but I’ve only played with 4). With JLCPCBs recent price drop on 4 layers I’ve been meaning to try a board like that. Do you still do ground flood pours on the signal layers?
Nope, with a ground plane as a reference you don't need ground pours on signal layers, I just leave them as traces. Extra pours when you don't need them can actually lead to more noise.

any recommendations for board to board spacing for v cuts for panelization for JLPCB?
I always just let JLC handle the panelization, they make it pretty easy. Design it like you're doing a single board then check "panel by JLCPCB" during ordering. Tell them how many you want in your panel and boom, you're done.

Unless of course you have two separate PCBs you're putting as one file like a main board and daughter board, in which case disregard everything I just said.

Back