Center punch drill tool

Any of these will do fine:

I’ve been using the brass Menard’s one for almost 10 years probably.

I use the model with the big red knob. Easy to hold, easy to find in my workbench mess, punches well in aluminium and steel and has two flat sides so it "mostly" does not roll away

I made mine in metal shop in 1970....Hand forged! I have a drill press, which, really, if you go slow enough doesn't really require a punch. Much faster with a punch and my eyes are 67 years old and it's much easier to put on the 4x glasses and punch it, then I can just wear safety glasses while drilling.

Grizzly G7946.jpg

Since I got the drill press I don't really need to centre punch any more. I have a step drill bit which makes drilling the holes really easy. I use a fence on the drill base which helps make everything extremely accurate. I stick masking tape onto the enclosure so I can mark out the holes clearly and it's a very quick procedure to drill a box now. I put some gaffa tape on the bottom edge of the enclosure so that it doesn't get scratched when drilling the jack holes at the other end.

Since I got the drill press I don't really need to centre punch any more. I have a step drill bit which makes drilling the holes really easy. I use a fence on the drill base which helps make everything extremely accurate. I stick masking tape onto the enclosure so I can mark out the holes clearly and it's a very quick procedure to drill a box now. I put some gaffa tape on the bottom edge of the enclosure so that it doesn't get scratched when drilling the jack holes at the other end.
I still punch and drill a 1/16” pilot before I use the step bit in my drill press. I don’t clamp anything down and the enclosure tends to wander ever so slightly if I don’t pre-drill. Takes all of 3-5 minutes to do 10 holes probably.

If you are in the “center punch, then pilot hole, then big hole camp,” this is a much nicer bit to use for pilot holes—since it‘s beefy until the pilot section, it won’t bend and start to wobble like skinny twist drill bits do.

E030EA26-F1C8-49F5-98C0-1BD0D1235565.jpeg

If you are in the “center punch, then pilot hole, then big hole camp,” this is a much nicer bit to use for pilot holes—since it‘s beefy until the pilot section, it won’t bend and start to wobble like skinny twist drill bits do.

View attachment 45783
Right on- this is cool. I have something similar that’s used for pilots with countersink.

Back