Drill Press Recommendations

Last week I bought myself a little 8'' Grizzly Baby Drill Press. It arrived yesterday and today I assembled it and drilled a few holes to test it out. While I haven't spent much time with it I can safely say that as long as the motor doesn't burn out on me I'll be really happy with it.

I was thinking about getting a Wen from Amazon but I didn't like how the belt drive worked by adding pressure rather than by just moving the belt to new pulleys. I had seen positive reviews of Grizzly and after doing some research on them and finding that they tended to rate just about as well as the Wens do I figured I might as well give it a shot. It was like $95 USD direct from their site and shipping was like $18, so for me it was cheaper than getting it from Amazon where it was about $130.

It took me about 20-30 minutes or so to build, so it came together pretty quickly. I feel like a good chunk of that time was spent assembling the guard, so if you omit that piece it may save you 5-10 minutes. I feel like the guard may get in the way with the clamp since the table is so small, but it can be removed if it becomes an issue. Most reviewers seemed to like it so I figured I'd start with it and then remove it if it gave me issues. I checked it out with a speed square and it was surprisingly tight: the chuck and the column were perfectly square. The table was a tad bit off from the column, but not by any degree that would make a difference for anything I'm drilling. I'm not putting together rockets here or anything.

This press is tiny and weighs probably 30 or so pounds, so it is really small, which I wanted since I'll only be using this for enclosures and little projects around the house. I've got it clamped on to one of those little portable workbenches from Craftsman and it actually felt pretty steady. I would say that the thing that I see as the biggest knock on it is the small table, but with an 8'' press I don't think you can really expect more. It is also really quiet, which is nice.

As far as how it works? It drills holes. It went through an aluminum enclosure very easily, which it ought to. There's no lasers or lights or anything, but for $100 I won't complain (but I'd probably never get the laser to line up anyways!). Like I said: as long as the motor doesn't die out and the chuck doesn't break I can't see any reason to complain.

Here's a quick photo to give a little sense of the size. If you're familiar with those little Craftsman portable workbenches you can see it hardly takes up much real estate on it:

Update Edit:

I've used this to drill out a few enclosures now and I just wanted to say that I still have no reason to complain and I really like this little press. I am using it on the lowest speed with step bits. I still use my hand drill for the pilot holes as it goes much faster that way.

I ended up removing the guard - it was just getting in the way. There is already a really small amount of real estate and that guard was just taking too much of it. I am usually the person who leaves guards on tools but I'd never even seen a guard on a drill press till I started looking at these models and it just took up way too much space. I think that I will try to find myself a smaller clamp as well as it can be a little hard to maneuver it with the 9'' one so I think I will get myself a 6' clamp.

For drilling enclosures this thing is pretty awesome. The holes are much cleaner and straighter, and there is very little filing/cleanup needed after drilling now. The process is a little slower than my hand drill because of the table setup time when changing from drilling out the front of the enclosure to the top, but I think it is worthwhile. The size of this press seems perfect for this kind of work. I would say the only thing that keeps this from being perfect is the fact that it doesn't have a crank to raise and lower the table. That would be a pretty solid upgrade to this machine but not a deal breaker.

press.jpg

Last edited:
This one was sold at Lowes a long time ago. I picked it up for $30. It was banged up, had fallen upside down and the belt housing was crooked. I bang it back in place, made a new switch housing out of aluminum. I also picked up a 4"vise from Lowes for $20. I should of got the 6", as the 4" isn't big enough for 1590xx/1790 enclosures, but it accommodates everything smaller perfectly.

Attachments

• 16224203687592079723437576651096.jpg
    16224203687592079723437576651096.jpg
    204.5 KB · Views: 16
  • 16224204276654675696657743711000.jpg
    16224204276654675696657743711000.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 16
If you want absolute precision in your drilling combined with ease of set up, get an X-Y drill vise, a center punch, and a wiggler.

I disagree with what's been said previously, I have both a drill press and a mini-mill, the X-Y vise/table serves different purposes for those two machines. I have a cheapie Wen for my drill press: I clamp it in, turn the handles until I find the center indentation with my wiggler, and drill.

I don't much care for laser guides. You really have to check calibration every time before you use 'em. Otherwise...just about any drill press is sufficient for drilling aluminum enclosures. The stuff is soft as butter.

If you ever do anything more intense, though...drop those spindle RPMs. Speed and torque have an inverse relationship at a static HP.

Just bumping this thread to see if anyone has recommendations for a decent bench top drill press with the following criteria:
  1. Crank-based table height adjustment
  2. adjustable speed (either via belt adjustment, or a knob)
  3. enough HP to drill steel at low RPMs
  4. accuracy– I've seen a lot of drill presses over the years with a lot of slop to the chuck making it so accurately drilling holes is a much larger chore than it should be
  5. (optional) a decent depth-stop that isn't fussy to set up and doesn't have a ton of slop to it.
lately when I look for actual reviews or shootouts of bench top drill presses the only results I get are for auto-generated lists filled with drop-shipper amazon affiliate links.
for woodworking I've got a pretty decent old Rockwell floor model that used to be my grandpa's, but its too much of a hassle adjusting everything back and forth when I need to do enclosure work or drilling of other metal parts, and its in the garage far, far away from my basement workbench, so I want a decent bench model down there to have dedicated to non-wood work.

The harbor freight one is okay for everything but the crank table. Don’t know why one would need a crank table for a small unit, but I have used one for approx 15y and have drilled through all imaginable materials. Mine drills nicely still. Drilled many etched doubled sided without alignment issues.

Just bumping this thread to see if anyone has recommendations for a decent bench top drill press with the following criteria:
  1. Crank-based table height adjustment
  2. adjustable speed (either via belt adjustment, or a knob)
  3. enough HP to drill steel at low RPMs
  4. accuracy– I've seen a lot of drill presses over the years with a lot of slop to the chuck making it so accurately drilling holes is a much larger chore than it should be
  5. (optional) a decent depth-stop that isn't fussy to set up and doesn't have a ton of slop to it.
lately when I look for actual reviews or shootouts of bench top drill presses the only results I get are for auto-generated lists filled with drop-shipper amazon affiliate links.
for woodworking I've got a pretty decent old Rockwell floor model that used to be my grandpa's, but its too much of a hassle adjusting everything back and forth when I need to do enclosure work or drilling of other metal parts, and its in the garage far, far away from my basement workbench, so I want a decent bench model down there to have dedicated to non-wood work.
I've been using the Wen 4214 for a couple years now and I love it! The depth stop could be fussy but a little loctight on the main nut goes a long way.

A crank seems to jump the price up quite a bit on most models.

I have to admit that having a crank would be a pretty big QOL improvement. However, I just took a Sharpie and marked the three heights I use for enclosures on the post and it doesn't take much time now.

Since a bunch of you said you have a WEN drill press, I figured Id ask here. Is it still working out for you? I'm eyeing some other WEN stuff (not the drill press) and curious

I’ve got some Wen stuff and it’s pretty solid. The oscillating spindle sander has been reliable as heck for me.
That's actually what I was looking at, assuming you're talking about the oscillating belt and spindle sander. It looks exactly like the Bauer and Triton ones that are more expensive and has the same specs

Reviving an old thread because I really need to get a drill press. I mean, need is a strong word given that pedal building is a hobby and my livelihood doesn’t depend on it. But I need it. It’ll make my enclosures look a lot better and minimize frustration with the hand drill. I need it and I’m sure you guys will agree with me because otherwise why are we doing any of this?!?

Anyways silliness aside, Harbor Freight has a great deal on this:

Any experience with this brand?

The good news is Harbor Freight has a decent warranty policy. If you can check one out in the store, see if the chuck is tight in it's bearing (the technical term is runout). You should not be able rattle the chuck from side-to side. Open the belt cover at the top and see if the pulleys are centered and straight. i.e. no wobble when you turn them. The negative reviews make a good case for not buying one. See if it has a depth stop (one reviewer says it doesn't). For me, that is an essential feature and my (non-HF) drill press has one.

Reviving an old thread because I really need to get a drill press. I mean, need is a strong word given that pedal building is a hobby and my livelihood doesn’t depend on it. But I need it. It’ll make my enclosures look a lot better and minimize frustration with the hand drill. I need it and I’m sure you guys will agree with me because otherwise why are we doing any of this?!?

Anyways silliness aside, Harbor Freight has a great deal on this:

Any experience with this brand?
That's not bad for the price. It's basically a tall version of their cheap benchtop which I have. The benchtop one won't drill top holes with normal sized bits unless you swing the shelf around and drill on the base. Not a problem here.
Note, the speed adjustment on these is manual. You have to pop the top and move the belt on pulleys.
If you're only using it for pedals, can just leave it on the slow setting.
I would recommend you check it to be sure there's no wobble in the spindle/chuck and that it is plumb. Grab a 1 ft or so piece of all thread or metal dowel and toss it in the shuck and spin it up(on slow).
Also note, you'll likely want a vise, so factor that cost in.

At this price, you can probably find a used one online or at an estate sale. Likely for less. I'm kicking myself for not grabbing an old Delta about 6 months ago for $100. Was a 2HP. Honestly, I didn't want to fool with moving it and getting it down the hill to my basement.

But yeah. Make sure it's plumb. And grab you a couple of the chuck wrenches. The kind that wrachet like a socket wrench. Make tool changing faster, imo. No more busted knuckles with those 4 ways. HF has them for ~$5
Need two because one will join the 10mm wrenches and guitar picks.

https://www.amazon.com/WEN-4214T-12...ress&qid=1702074895&s=power-hand-tools&sr=1-5

The is the one I have. I its a little more than the harbor freight one but they make a 10" that's around the same price. The variable speed drive on it at least on mine works pretty well. I haven't opened it but I think it's a small reeves drive inside. The rpm gauge works pretty well but the laser I think is a gimmick. I had a part on mine break in transit and I filed a warranty claim and got it within a week.

It's not a better drill press than the 1970's Delta that I used to have but isn't bad for $200 delivered.

I also have the Harbor Freight 8” it’s been working fantastic (as Fanta as it can) the whole time I’ve been building.

Since a bunch of you said you have a WEN drill press, I figured Id ask here. Is it still working out for you? I'm eyeing some other WEN stuff (not the drill press) and curious
I have a bit of Wen tools, and not only have they held up well, when I have had issues and contacted customer support they sent me replacement parts for free.

Back