Drill Press Recommendations

Pro tip: don’t wipe the metal shavings off your enclosure with your hand, get a soft bristle brush like barbers use. I blemished a few finished enclosures that way.

Also keep your step bits sharp with a jar of soapy water, dip it in there every few holes you drill.

Same here with the Ryobi. I didn't bolt it down and I can tilt it back to vacumn under it. It's relatively heavy and back in a corner so if I need to drill something large I can move it around to accomodate.

Pro tip: don’t wipe the metal shavings off your enclosure with your hand, get a soft bristle brush like barbers use. I blemished a few finished enclosures that way.

Also keep your step bits sharp with a jar of soapy water, dip it in there every few holes you drill.
I find the Tayda powder coat to be very thin

Can’t say I’ve used them but I believe it. I’ve scratched a finished etched enclosure before thinking I was wiping it off lightly with my hand...nope!

Good price, favorable reviews...
Does it have a light? If not, you can always rig one up. A moveable light is preferable for dealing with shadows / reflections.
That depth stop looks hokey, but if you're only going to drill enclosures, you won't need it.
You want a drill vise, but the 3" they offer as a bundle is overpriced and too small for a 1590BB. You want at least a 4" vise.

I know a few pedal dudes with that press and haven’t heard a bad word. It was the one I was considering before I got my current press.

How about drill press vise versus cross slide vise? Any opinions? I picked up a WEN 8" drill press like the one above in yazooligan's post.
Would a cross slide vise be overkill on my tiny drill press?

How about drill press vise versus cross slide vise? Any opinions? I picked up a WEN 8" drill press like the one above in yazooligan's post.
Would a cross slide vise be overkill on my tiny drill press?

Probably overkill but I also barely use my normal vise so my opinion may not hold much water haha. I prefer doing it the least safe way and holding it with my hand.

Ah, OK. I'll suppress my urge to overkill for now then. Finally found the time to start building again, but I moved and don't have my buddy next door to drill enclosures for me. Can't wait to get the drill press. Muhaha...

I agree, the cross-slide is way overkill unless you plan on doing some milling. In which case, you should be plunking down the big bucks for a real milling machine. Now THAT'S overkill!

Back