Duocast

caiofilipini

After an issue with enclosure shorts, here's my latest build, the Duocast:

MVIMG_20200818_000124.jpg

MVIMG_20200817_235822.jpg

I used a BC549C in Q1 and an NOS GT2308 in Q2. I actually tried a few different transistors in Q2, including an OC71, an AC128, and a 2N404. The 2N404 and the GT2308 sounded better in my opinion, and I ended up choosing the latter. Very interesting pedal. I really liked it with my strat, but had a bit of a harder time dialing it in with humbuckers (Gibson SG). Still need to explore more.

The decal is a mess, I had a tough time getting it aligned and straight, but it is what it is. Design heavily inspired by by @joelorigo's build (hope you don't mind!).

My only real disappointment with this build is I bought a set of Neve marconi-style knobs, but they're a little too big, there's not enough spaces between the pots to fit them. I put these knobs in temporarily, but I'll definitely replace them at some point.

MVIMG_20200818_000258.jpg

Also, I bought and installed the OC71 without any testing (because I don't have anything to test it on) and now I wish I would have socketed Q2 to try other transitors

Yeah, and I kinda regret not doing the same thing for Q1, I think my BC549C is a little too grainy there. Oh well.

@HousTom I really like that transistor as well, especially in treble boosters, but I think it's a great fit for the Duocast as well. Out of curiosity, what's the hFE on the one you used?

I mentioned this in another thread, but just to close the circle here, after measuring reference voltages and transistor bias on a real Hudson Broadcast Dual, I started investigating my own build to try and figure out why it didn't sound any close to the demos and the real unit I had in my hands. Turns out I had my BC549C installed backwards, so the biasing of the transistors was all over the place!

I just fixed it and it sounds glorious now! And pretty darn close to the real thing. I ended up swapping Q2 out for a CV7003 with hFE ~60. Super stoked!

I'm about to receive a rev3 board, so I'm going to build a new one anyway, but it all makes sense now.

Reactions: fig
I mentioned this in another thread, but just to close the circle here, after measuring reference voltages and transistor bias on a real Hudson Broadcast Dual, I started investigating my own build to try and figure out why it didn't sound any close to the demos and the real unit I had in my hands. Turns out I had my BC549C installed backwards, so the biasing of the transistors was all over the place!

I just fixed it and it sounds glorious now! And pretty darn close to the real thing. I ended up swapping Q2 out for a CV7003 with hFE ~60. Super stoked!

I'm about to receive a rev3 board, so I'm going to build a new one anyway, but it all makes sense now.
Curiosity has got the better of me here, Your BC549C is facing the right direction in the Picture above & Highlighted below :

DUOCAST BC549C.jpg

Back