Ernie Ball VPJR Expression Mod…

Joben Magooch

Hi all, so I’m curious if anyone has any insight here. I’m looking to use my trusty Ernie Ball VP JR as an expression pedal, specifically with my HX Effects. I’ve seen mixed messages on the matter; some folks say it doesn’t work, others say it works with reservations, others say it works with some tweaks/mods/etc, and others still just say it’s plug-and-play, no problems.

I’ve got a typical 250k VP JR. As I understand Line 6 for ages now has had their stuff configured to expect a 10k (TS, not TRS) expression pedal and values outside of that spec are hit and miss. The pot in mine was getting worn out and in need of replacement, so I figured I’d try and replace it with a 25k one; generally speaking it seems like from what I’ve gathered people have more luck with the 25k VPJR than the 250k version.

So I got the new pot installed. First weird thing is that it was seemingly operating backwards. I took photos and wired it in exactly as the stock 250k pot was, but once I got it all buttoned back up, heel-down was 100% and toe down was 0%. So that’s weird. Swapping the wires on the outside lugs got it back to normal but I don’t really know what was happening there. I double and triple checked and it was wired the same as stock 250k but just operating backwards. But anyways.

The pedal works OK as an expression pedal now. It’s detected by the HX FX and mostly works as it ought with one issue: it’s showing as 100% “on” (toe-down) roughly 60% through the sweep. It sweeps fairly smooth, but it’s like all of the travel from 0-100% is registered in just 60% of the pot rotation. It stays at 100% on for the remaining 40% rotation.

I thought per chance my pot just wasn’t seated right when I restrung the pedal but no, it’s correct…

So the next thing I’m leaning towards checking out… the 250k VPJRs have a “taper” switch to adjust the sweep/feel. There’s a 220k resistor on the PCB, and it looks like the taper switch brings it in and out of the circuit, maybe? And as I understand it, the 25k VPJRs do NOT come with a taper switch or that 220k resistor stock from the factory.

So all that to say is that I’m then wondering if removing and jumpering that resistor might sort things out? Otherwise I feel like I’ve seen where you can put a resistor across the pot lugs to tweak the “value” and so I wonder if that wouldn’t also be an option?

Anyways let me know what you think! Here’s a link to the stock 250k schematic.

1. Does the pedal work as a volume pedal now?
2. What type of pot did you use? Linear or audio taper?
3. Are you positive you rewound the string inside correctly? I think you wound it backwards and perhaps not tight enough. Please follow this video
. You really need a hook!

Yes, there is a taper switch. That should only effect the sweep. I think the pedal would have worked regardless of the pot value, but I'm not familiar with that system. You also usually need a stereo y splitting cable to use those as an expression pedal.
They are a pain in the ass to put back together. I've done it a few times to know. I really think the string is backwards wound and slipping.

If you don’t get it to work as expected, I have installed the Zeppelin kit into my EB Jr., and truly love it. I don’t have the expression add on, which you would want, but just wanted to endorse this as an option. I have not compared the Zeppelin modded pedal to the Lehle, which I was Planning on getting, because the Zeppelin mod is fantastic.

Zero friction, no strings, selectable tapers, boost, etc.

3. Are you positive you rewound the string inside correctly? I think you wound it backwards and perhaps not tight enough.
I think you are right. Honestly I’ve strung up various EBVPS more times than I care to count but I guess that’s what I get for doing it too late at night… had it wrapped around the pot the wrong way.

So I did it the right way and… the string ended up snapping. Haha. It was getting a bit worn and probably needing replaced anyways but I decided to test my luck…

But mines the 40th anniversary model and ive been informed by EB support that it uses a different string than the regular VPJR and they don’t sell it. So gonna see if I can make the regular one fit… I know Shnobel sells a string for it (“lifetime”) but it’s like $30 so I dunno about that right now. Might be shelved till I decide to care about it more.

I think you are right. Honestly I’ve strung up various EBVPS more times than I care to count but I guess that’s what I get for doing it too late at night… had it wrapped around the pot the wrong way.

So I did it the right way and… the string ended up snapping. Haha. It was getting a bit worn and probably needing replaced anyways but I decided to test my luck…

But mines the 40th anniversary model and ive been informed by EB support that it uses a different string than the regular VPJR and they don’t sell it. So gonna see if I can make the regular one fit… I know Shnobel sells a string for it (“lifetime”) but it’s like $30 so I dunno about that right now. Might be shelved till I decide to care about it more.
Kevlar thread may be a good sub
Strong stuff and nearly zero stretch.
Idk what diameter would be called for, etc.

I put this guy on the shelf and got a line 6 ex-1. Works perfect BUT I can’t stand the sweep/feel of it. Returning…

Bit the bullet and bought the Shnobel lifetime string. Got it strung and working perfectly in 5 minutes. I guess that’s what I get for trying to re-string it with an old string at 1am last time.

Back