Few latest builds (1590A Flanger, 1590A Reverbs and others)

dan.schumaker

Here are a few of the builds I finished up this weekend.

Pandemonium Jr - This is a take on the Boss BF-2 in a 1590A enclosure. I wanted to try and make another flanger in a 1590A enclosure, but knew that the only way to make that happen is to go the SMD route. Knowing what a pain in the butt 0603's can be to solder, I decided to give JLCPCB's PCB assembly a try. After figuring out how to export everything into a format they could read, it ended up going pretty smoothly. It does feel a little like cheating, but I did finish it off with the electro's, transistors, trim's and BBD's, so it is still homemade :) It sounds really good, a few turns of the knobs, and you have that Purple Rain coming down :)
2226-Pandemonium-Jr.jpg

Camber Reverb - This is a Belton Brick Reverb, shoved in a 1590A. I used the JLC SMD process again on this one. This wasn't too bad to fit in, I ended up using some thinner jacks from Tayda (https://www.taydaelectronics.com/ha...female-connector-thread-lock-panel-mount.html), and the little extra headroom they gave helped me be able to get the cover shut on this one. Another good sounding reverb. The dry switch leaves only the reverberated signal, its not super useful, but its there :)
2227-Camber.jpg

Singularity Reverb - This is a PT2399 reverb for 1590A. There is 2 PT2399's doing the heavy delay lifting, with slight modulation on the reverb. This one was a little easier to fit in the box than the Camber, but it was more of a pain soldering everything up. The trade off I guess :) The controls are mix for the reverb volume, and the room switch changes the amount of feedback, giving the illusion of a larger or smaller room. It has simple controls, but it is really all you need to add a little reverb to your chain.
2212-Singularity.jpg

[youtube]

Hurricane - The Hurricane is a BMP derivative, but with a Baxandall tone stack in place of the traditional BMP tone stack. Its a Muff, it sounds huge. I like being able to add in or take out the amount of bass in the signal. Its one of those pedals that the first time I turned it on and hit a power chord, it just makes you smile...
2230-Hurricane.jpg

Smokehouse - The Smokehouse is like a Brownface Fender in a box. The drive section is based on the Greer Soma, and I tacked a Harmonic tremolo to the end of it. Both circuits sound really good, it can deliver some real nice greasy grind, and on low depths, the tremolo gives the sound just a little movement and something different that you can't quite put your finger on. Or, you know, crank the speed and depth for an amazing sounding tremolo.
2229-Smokehouse.jpg

Hawksnest - This is my Skreddy box. I put a Screwdriver, Hybrid Fuzz Driver and Lunar Module all in one box with some fancy switching. The Fuzz order switch moves the fuzz either first or last in the chain, while the other order switch changes the order of the Screwdriver or HFD. Is this a necessary or super useful pedal? No, but its cool to have all of them in one place :)
2228-Hawksnest.jpg

Time Dilation - This is a tape delay box in a 125B. Taking a look at the controls, you know what this is based on ;) This one is just for me, and I wanted to see if I could get it in a 125B enclosure. Mission Accomplished. It sounds just like the full size version, just with a slightly smaller footprint.
2232-Time-Dilation.jpg

Exterminator - This is a take on the Clone Theory, also in a 125B enclosure. I added a little boost circuit on the back end, making sure that the volume is at unity (or with a boost). You all know how the Clone Theory sounds, and it sounds just like it. This one is setup with a MN3007 chip.
2235-Exterminator.jpg

Wow! Just... wow! Those look great. What was the approximate cost on the two small boards where you had the smd parts included?
It wasn't so bad, cost wise. Not as much as I thought it would be even. When I got the number, divided it by the amount of boards I got, it ended up being pretty close to what I would have spent on resistors and caps and stuff. I figure its a win since I didn't have to do all the work myself.

Do you build up the remainder boards and sell the pedals, or do you sell off the extra PCBs, or…?

Dibs on a 1590A flanger board, pretty please with solder on top…

😸

Truly amazing work, great to be shown what is possible.

Back