Finally! A win! (Repaired/Modified mega Arachnid double pedal)

p_wats

It's no secret I've had a bit of a rough spell with regards to troubleshooting FV-1 builds that worked fine until I did something dumb.

Hopefully I'm over the hump now though, as this one is a doozy. I built this double Arachnid last year for my wife/bandmate to use with her synth setup. She loves it and has very specific settings she likes to use, so it was a bummer when one of the rotary switches died.

I was able to get it desoldered without issue and popped a new one in, but there was now a lot of noise--after much troubleshooting (thanks again to @zgrav) I was able to figure out that jostling the circuit to get the board out/in of the box must have pulled too much on the board-mounted pots, as a trace came loose at the mix pot. A quick extra jumper wire later and problem solved!

Then, it was time to see if I could push it further without actually breaking anything this time. The new additions are:

- Toggle to engage internal programs for the second circuit (didn't feel the need to do this for both)

- Dry out from the 2nd circuit via pin 7 of the TL074 (via a 1uf MLCC and 1K resistor to the ring of the stereo jack) with a little breakout cable to send the tip (wet) and ring (dry) to different ends

- Daughter boards to toggle between 2 EEPROMs for each circuit (as per this thread. Thanks to @phi1 for all his documentation there!). This could be done more elegantly using pin headers, but that wouldn't work with the IC sockets I had used, so this needed wire leads soldered to socket ends.

The other options already included were a toggle to switch the order of the two circuits and an effects loop to insert something between them.

double-arachnid-mods-2020-08-31_01.jpg

double-arachnid-mods-2020-08-31_02.jpg

The labelling got a bit messy as I added more and more options, but these new ones are mostly for me for when I "borrow" it from her to use with weird programs, etc.

Really fun and overwhelming number of options. Probably a good description of the projects and the enclosure to call it a Party-in-a-Box.

As it is I lose track of what individual programs are on a rotary dial for FV-1, and usually just turn the dial to find something I like on whatever EEPROM is in the box. You have juiced that 5 times over. Do you have functional groupings on your FV-1 programs for each eeprom?

Someone else on the forums was using a nice looking FV-1 build kit that included a display showing the program selection and position of the 3 effect knobs. I think if you did something like that here you would need to change over to a rack mount system to get more space for those dual displays.

Really fun and overwhelming number of options. Probably a good description of the projects and the enclosure to call it a Party-in-a-Box.

As it is I lose track of what individual programs are on a rotary dial for FV-1, and usually just turn the dial to find something I like on whatever EEPROM is in the box. You have juiced that 5 times over. Do you have functional groupings on your FV-1 programs for each eeprom?

Someone else on the forums was using a nice looking FV-1 build kit that included a display showing the program selection and position of the 3 effect knobs. I think if you did something like that here you would need to change over to a rack mount system to get more space for those dual displays.

I think I've seen that same display kit option on Reddit. Looks interesting!

My plan for the EEPROMs is basically the following:

EEPROMs A = programs my wife needs (she has detailed setting notes for different songs etc. and really just uses the one board for modulation/delay with the second providing reverb)

EEPROMs B = weird extra programs I want to mess with that I've downloaded from the Spin forums, etc. (glitchy random delay, reverse, anything weird). Just extra space to have some nonsense sounds without having to upset her settings.

I thought it would be overwhelming, but over the year that we've been using this prior to these new mods it was all pretty easy to remember and use. We'll see how it goes!

Back