For those familiar with effectslayout 3pdt boards

Diynot

IMG_4056.jpeg
Did I solder this upsidedown? The one that came with my Skeleklone said “3pdt this side” but not this one (that I can remember or see) but I’m getting no LED and no sound

Fun fact unrelated to this thread (if you’re not getting sound I’d double check that the 3PDT switch is good, then start probing the board if that’s not it), the EffectsLayouts boards with the on-board LED pads are cross-compatible with PedalPCB boards (and PPCB breakout boards are compatible with the EffectsLayouts board with “IN GND L- OUT” pads, so long as you can find somewhere else to solder the ground lugs of your jacks to)

That’s the right way. It’s very confusing that the square is the top right pad.

The led pads most likely need to be jumped on the breakout if you are using pads on the main board.
Thanks! I’ll give the jumper a try. I tried touching the pads, but I may not have made connection. Meh. Also realized that I had missed a lug on the 3pdt, but haven’t tried for sound again, had to make dinner.

That’s the right way. It’s very confusing that the square is the top right pad.

The led pads most likely need to be jumped on the breakout if you are using pads on the main board.
Looking at his other projects, the square is on the top right as well. That is weird.

Looking at his other projects, the square is on the top right as well. That is weird.
He has another breakout that is top left I believe. I may be misremembering though.

I recently had to trash a switch because of this breakout board. I was in autopilot and just oriented the square in the top left. I’d already soldered a ribbon cable to the main board.

He has another breakout that is top left I believe. I may be misremembering though.

I recently had to trash a switch because of this breakout board. I was in autopilot and just oriented the square in the top left. I’d already soldered a ribbon cable to the main board.
That’s why I started just making my own. There are so many variants in my stash alone. There’s no consistency I can follow. Hell I confused myself last week. I forgot which 3pdt wiring schematic I used.

I screwed up my first attempt to use an effecslayout 3ptb board, but it was totally my fault. I installed it upside down.
Don't know how, because it was clearly marked. I think I got cocky.

I screwed up my first attempt to use an effecslayout 3ptb board, but it was totally my fault. I installed it upside down.
Don't know how, because it was clearly marked. I think I got cocky.
I wrapped up 5 builds in 2 days and 3 out of the lot fired right up, but then I realized I had installed a vactrol backwards on my Cordyceps then when the the spotted dick didn’t do dick, I was just thinking “what dumbass thing did I screw up…?”

I wrapped up 5 builds in 2 days and 3 out of the lot fired right up, but then I realized I had installed a vactrol backwards on my Cordyceps then when the the spotted dick didn’t do dick, I was just thinking “what dumbass thing did I screw up…?”
Not a breakout board, but I just spent 2 days fighting with a perfboard build I should’ve known better than to start 😂. Dumbassery, I tells ya. Dumb-ass-ery.

Why is just one square marked? Unless I'm missing something, the only thing that matters is that the lugs are oriented the right way around, so I would think the orientation of the lugs should be marked on the board somehow. I wondered a bit with the small breakout board on mine too, but then realized the wires will be perpendicular to the lugs, not in parallel from one side or another. But I think it could be marked better. Some breakout boards have oval shaped holes instead of circles which makes sure you orient them the right way around, but I guess that might mean that not all 3PDT switches fit in them, the spacing is tighter.

Why is just one square marked? Unless I'm missing something, the only thing that matters is that the lugs are oriented the right way around, so I would think the orientation of the lugs should be marked on the board somehow. I wondered a bit with the small breakout board on mine too, but then realized the wires will be perpendicular to the lugs, not in parallel from one side or another. But I think it could be marked better. Some breakout boards have oval shaped holes instead of circles which makes sure you orient them the right way around, but I guess that might mean that not all 3PDT switches fit in them, the spacing is tighter.
The square is traditionally pin one. If you put a stomp board on top side down, the markings won’t match up, everything will be reversed.

Back