Fuzz Face Mod

Got the idea from an Aion kit. Here's the schematic. Looks like it's to mess with the mids a bit.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-02-07 at 7.42.32 AM.png
    Screenshot 2024-02-07 at 7.42.32 AM.png
    106.5 KB · Views: 29
Sorry. Here's the schematic I drew and breadboarded. This is what I was thinking.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-02-07 at 7.49.35 AM.png
    Screenshot 2024-02-07 at 7.49.35 AM.png
    230.4 KB · Views: 25
I tried it and actually loved the sound. I'm just trying to figure out exactly what that pot is affecting. Is it Q1, Q2?

Sorry. Here's the schematic I drew and breadboarded. This is what I was thinking.
Oh, it's in series with the 470R. (Also, it's a NPN fuzz face)

It's changing a bit of the Q2 bias and common emitter gain, but mostily the output amplitude is increased since the 8k2+470R voltage divider (original circuit values) is been modified. I read the Aion documentation and I dont see how it could affect mids.

The Fulltone 69 has a 1k pot in series with a 220 ohm resistor set up similar to that Tactical Fuzz, but he labeled it Contour. It's going to affect q2 bias, but I'm not sure if he biased Q2 with the pot cranked or at what position.

The Fulltone 69 has a 1k pot in series with a 220 ohm resistor set up similar to that Tactical Fuzz, but he labeled it Contour. It's going to affect q2 bias, but I'm not sure if he biased Q2 with the pot cranked or at what position.
Aion's instructions for their Solaris board say "Set the Contour knob just above 9:00" when biasing, I vaguely remember an earlier version of the board specifically saying they'd borrowed the "Contour" control straight from the Fulltone 69 so I'm assuming just above 9:00 was the case in the original

From fulltone website:
A Contour Knob lets you dial in Midrange, Harmonics and Sustain
Seems like the Aion FX Epsilon Silicon Fuzz is pretty close to the Fulltone 69, but adding the Jack Orman pickup simulator at the beginning.
1707332841255.png

What I want to know is what the transformer is doing in the Thorpy pedal. How can running the signal through the primary of a small transformer change the sound? At most it would be simulating a resistor. Am I missing something?

Back