Fuzz Foundry Transistor & Power Question

smatchsmoke

I'll preface this by stating my electrical/circuit knowledge is still very limited—I'm basically building Legos here; following directions and enjoying the pleasant surprise anytime the LED lights up after housing a finished PCB.

But I was looking at the Fuzz Foundry (original, not the deluxe) as a potential next build and had a question about the mix of transistors, specifically the silicon NPN (2N3904) and germanium PNPs (AC128) and how this might affect using standard power supply without a charge pump. I know this is an...eccentric...fuzz , so is this by design? Will this work with a standard power supply, or do I need to use a 9v battery?

Again, apologies if these are remedial questions, but just wanted to be sure I wasn't missing anything before diving in and frying a transistor. Thanks!

The 2N3904 (Q1) is in the input stage and is common to both modes.

The germanium PNP transistors are switched to silicon PNP transistors (2N3906) in Silicon mode. This is why no special power supply circuitry or inverted transistors are needed.

Awesome. Thank you! (And thanks for this forum, which has been incredibly helpful as I wade into all of this with literally no electronics experience.)

Back