General Tso's Compressor - Treble control extremely subtle?

Joben Magooch

Hi all - finished my General Tso's a few weeks back and I really quite like it for the most part but I'm finding the treble control seems extremely subtle, like to the point where I can't even tell for sure if it's doing anything at all or if I'm just tricking my ears into hearing something...

Is this control meant to be fairly noticeable or should it be more subtle by design?

I'll try and get a clearer picture later but here is the best one I have on hand at the moment. I don't know if perhaps I would've just got a value wrong somewhere or what...

Hard to tell from the picture what might be causing this. Maybe share a pic from the other side as well?

The treble range is noticeable so you should be able to tell the difference between middle and max for instance. I use it to quickly add some highs to overdrive pedals that are after it for instance. You can test with an overdrive pedal after it as it makes the treble more obvious.

The 2 caps you used are 10nf right? Check the continuity of the components around the treble pot on the schematic.
Can also be that the pot is the issue but I’d change that after checking the other components.

Hard to tell from the picture what might be causing this. Maybe share a pic from the other side as well?

The treble range is noticeable so you should be able to tell the difference between middle and max for instance. I use it to quickly add some highs to overdrive pedals that are after it for instance. You can test with an overdrive pedal after it as it makes the treble more obvious.

The 2 caps you used are 10nf right? Check the continuity of the components around the treble pot on the schematic.
Can also be that the pot is the issue but I’d change that after checking the other components.
At work at the moment so can't try out BUT this kind of echoes my experience prior. In testing shortly after building it seemed to me like the treble control by itself doesn't do a lot for me; if I just have my guitar going into the comp and into the amp, treble knob doesn't do a ton. When I add another overdrive to the mix it becomes more noticeable, but it's kind of hard to explain - almost feels like it acts like a "presence" control for other drives down the line from it. So it's kind of weird and again don't know exactly how to put it but I guess it feels like the General Tso's treble control doesn't really act so much like a treble control for the General Tso *itself* but rather it's like an added control that impacts the pedals that come after it...hopefully that makes sense :p

As for the rest my experience in reading schematics is rudimentary at best but it looks like the two caps that would most directly interact with treble (w20k) are C7 and C8? Both listed as 10nf as you mentioned. I would have to double-check but I believe those are correct - I referenced my parts order and the build doc and see the following as film caps:
C1 22n
C2 1u
C3 470n
C4 100n
C7 10n
C8 10n
C9 330pf
C10 1u
C11 470n
C14 100n
C15 100n
C16 33n
C17 33n

And in checking with what I ordered and just what I can visually see installed on the PCB there is definitely accounted for: C2, C10; C4, C14, C15; C3, C11; C9 (MLCC), C16, C17 and that leaves just C7, C8, and C1 as unmarked, wherein C1 is meant to be 22n and C7/8 10n. I suppose it is possible that one of C7/8 could've been swapped with C1 but I don't know if this should make the effect more or less pronounced...

Back