Green Russian Big Muff

almondcity

This one has 20K trimmers for R7 and R12. I can't put into words what turning these do to the sound but it does make a very big difference. Between the two of them the entire sound of the pedal can be shifted quite a bit. I would recommend this easy addition.

I also put in two germanium transistors for Q2 and Q3 and I think it improved the sound to be a bit more organic(?). 2N5210 in the other sockets for now and I'm loving it.

I decided to use the big box just for fun, I think it's more enjoyable to step on a big pedal. My wife made some art for this which I am super excited to get some sticker paper for. Will update this thread with graphics when finished

Attachments

• 20210620_101647-small.jpg
    20210620_101647-small.jpg
    789 KB · Views: 62
  • 20210620_101938-small.jpg
    20210620_101938-small.jpg
    889 KB · Views: 62
Very nice, looks great. Love the knobs. I almost bought some repro ones like that on eBay but couldn’t quite stomach the price.

As much as I love the 125b enclosures, it just doesn’t feel right to use such a small enclosure for a muff, so mine is in a 1590bb.

Reactions: fig
Very nice, looks great. Love the knobs. I almost bought some repro ones like that on eBay but couldn’t quite stomach the price.

As much as I love the 125b enclosures, it just doesn’t feel right to use such a small enclosure for a muff, so mine is in a 1590bb.
Not that I want to give away one of my secrets (not that big of a secret, really), but SmallBear sells cream Russian Muff knobs. They could easily be painted black…

I think those resistors are meant to address impedance between the gain stages. They also limit current, but I think the designers were going for a smoother sound instead of worrying about current limiting/protection at those stages. But who knows?.

Reducing them ought to give you a splattier sound and maybe more high end bite. Raising them might make the sound mellower and smooth.

IIRC, reducing R7 or R12 has the result of sending more signal to the next stage, so it may increase the gain and maybe high end? Hard to say without more analysis.

Back
Top Bottom