Help me decide which compressor to build…

Locrian99

I have very little experience with compressors. I think I need to build one to play around with. The only o e I e spent much time with is the keeley 4 knob with the switch for humbucker/single coil (by much time I played around with one I borrow from a friend for a couple hours.). I’m looking at the thumb sucker, the warden clone sorry forget the name, and the MBP kompromat.

I’ve got a strat and a les paul for guitars that I’ll use with it. Any other suggestions I’m welcome to as well.

Thanks.

I highly recommend the thumb sucker. It’s a great all-around compressor and an easy build. Plus you don’t have to futz around with LDRs. I’ve tried three different LDRs in my delegate, and I’m still not positive if it isn’t working right or I just don’t know how to dial it in. YMMV, but it’s hard to go wrong with the thumb sucker.

I haven’t built the mad bean board specifically, but I had a Barber Tone Press for a while and found it too noisy for my taste.

This can be used with many instruments including drum machine, keyboards, etc.

I built the bass version, and it's good on guitars too. I just have to set the Color Knob at 12' or anywhere CW above 12'. The bass version has a wider range of possibility (if i recall correctly, it's been years) making it more suited than other compressors for many instruments.

The interest here is the exciter (controls odd and even harmonics) and the color control (pan between bass and treble boost). Perfect to shape your sound to get more pecision, etc.

If you only play guitar, just go with the guitar version or try both and make your choice.

Although the sustain control allows to increase the attack response, it's not as powerful as other compressors that can go in extreme settings. Effective but moderate. The good side of it is that it's very silent compared to others.

Last edited:
I have very little experience with compressors. I think I need to build one to play around with. The only o e I e spent much time with is the keeley 4 knob with the switch for humbucker/single coil (by much time I played around with one I borrow from a friend for a couple hours.). I’m looking at the thumb sucker, the warden clone sorry forget the name, and the MBP kompromat.

I’ve got a strat and a les paul for guitars that I’ll use with it. Any other suggestions I’m welcome to as well.

Thanks.
Here's a good article describing the differences in compressor technology.

In the DIY world, the most common are Optical, VCA and OTA.
Your Keeley 4 knob is an OTA, (I have the exact same pedal) so you kinda know what to expect from those.

I tend to use compressor on everything (always on General Tso) but I use it very sparingly so optical works the best for me as it's typically more subtle compression. Like you don't know you have it on until you turn it off.

There's a couple of good VCA boards (PPCB Creamery, MBP Oracle). I've built the Oracle and it's an awesome compressor as well. Much more compression available than most opticals.

I think you need to build one of each type:) I'd highly recommend the General Tso over the Delegate/Warden. Much easier to dial in a good sound quickly and compensate between different types of guitars/pickups.

The Tso is the only one of the .PedalPCB compressors I’ve built, but it’s really lovely sounding! I’m another “very light settings, on most of the time” person. Did I mention how great it sounds?

Thanks.
If you like the keeley and the feature of of the single coil/ humbucker switch, I would go with the Kompromat the clip control is pretty much the same as the pup switch, and very useful when playing a guitar with hot pick ups or humbuckerss you can dial it to get the same sparkling clean comp as a single coil even with the volume of your guitar dimed. Something to consider.

Here's a good article describing the differences in compressor technology.

In the DIY world, the most common are Optical, VCA and OTA.
Your Keeley 4 knob is an OTA, (I have the exact same pedal) so you kinda know what to expect from those.

I tend to use compressor on everything (always on General Tso) but I use it very sparingly so optical works the best for me as it's typically more subtle compression. Like you don't know you have it on until you turn it off.

There's a couple of good VCA boards (PPCB Creamery, MBP Oracle). I've built the Oracle and it's an awesome compressor as well. Much more compression available than most opticals.

I think you need to build one of each type:) I'd highly recommend the General Tso over the Delegate/Warden. Much easier to dial in a good sound quickly and compensate between different types of guitars/pickups.
Thanks for the article link it was helpful. I’m going with the general tso and the kompromat to start. I liked the keeley so the kompromat seems like an obvious choice there. Curious to try the difference between the optical and OTA, I could see myself preferring something subtle.

Just going to wait for the cobbler to come back in stock now I guess. Been waiting till I had more than 1 board to order…

Last edited:
Thanks for the article link it was helpful. I’m going with the general tso and the kompromat to start. I liked the keeley so the kompromat seems like an obvious choice there. Curious to try the difference between the optical and OTA, I could see myself preferring something subtle.

Just going to wait for the cobbler to come back in stock now I guess. Been waiting till I had more than 1 board to order…
I've been looking at the Kompromat myself for some time now. Although I need another compressor like a hole in the head hahaha. But I don't have a DIY OTA yet.......it's a gap I feel keenly sometimes......

Before Phasers, I built tons of compressors. They all have their own attributes, it's really about what you're looking for. The one that ultimately lived on my board was a soul preacher nano. It was awesome for what I needed as a bass player.

Before Phasers, I built tons of compressors. They all have their own attributes, it's really about what you're looking for. The one that ultimately lived on my board was a soul preacher nano. It was awesome for what I needed as a bass player.
I can see myself going down the phase hole at some point. Done the phase 90, duo phase and circulator so far. Prefer the circulator so far.

I can see myself going down the phase hole at some point. Done the phase 90, duo phase and circulator so far. Prefer the circulator so far.
I've built so many, like 30+ 🤣🤣🤣 I get obsessed easily. The one that lived on my board was a ross phaser clone.

Late to the party, but I'll throw in these thoughts...

A flathead screwdriver can cut deep like a knife or shiv, makes a pretty good cattle-prod, I've even used one as a hammer... but it still works best at what it was designed for, driving flathead screws.

You mentioned instruments, but not what style of music you'll be playing, what you need it for, what you want it to do, what you want to accomplish...

Evening out your playing by bringing down peaks and raising fingerstyle nuances,​
hard-limiting,​
Smoothing out your single-coil tone with some or no colouration,​
enhancing snappy chickenpicking, slap and pop (ala Reggie Wooten), hammer-on touch-stylings etc​
Taming other effects such as envelope filters​
adding sustain​
punching through the mix​
adding clarity to distorted tones (run the comp in front and use less distortion)​
...​

I was going to recommend the Thumb Sucker as it is most like what you already know, but without the supposed drawbacks of the Dyna-Ross based comps (according to the designer of the Engineer's Thumb).

If you're looking to play some country or twangier genres, the Byrdhouse will jangle your jingles, but it is based on the Dyna-Ross paradigm.

If you want some smooth subtle colouration, then definitely try an optical comp such as the Diamond (alas, no Diamond clone from PedalPCB just yet, but available in PCB form at Aion and Lectric-FX or build on vero/perf).

Compression as effect itself, build the Creamery and it will milk every bit of your playing.

For low noise, low colouration and working well as a limiter, build the Constrictor for great compulations

PS: in addition to the Ovnilab link MichaelW gave (an excellent resource), here's some more reading to do on the comps you're considering:

You can also check this thread, looks like you're not the only one player wondering about compressors right now :

I am not sure about the Engineer's Thumb (aka Thumb Sucker), I built it and it was quite a disappointment, for me and many other players. See reply #30 in the thread linked above.

Late to the party, but I'll throw in these thoughts...

A flathead screwdriver can cut deep like a knife or shiv, makes a pretty good cattle-prod, I've even used one as a hammer... but it still works best at what it was designed for, driving flathead screws.

You mentioned instruments, but not what style of music you'll be playing, what you need it for, what you want it to do, what you want to accomplish...

Evening out your playing by bringing down peaks and raising fingerstyle nuances,​
hard-limiting,​
Smoothing out your single-coil tone with some or no colouration,​
enhancing snappy chickenpicking, slap and pop (ala Reggie Wooten), hammer-on touch-stylings etc​
Taming other effects such as envelope filters​
adding sustain​
punching through the mix​
adding clarity to distorted tones (run the comp in front and use less distortion)​
...​

I was going to recommend the Thumb Sucker as it is most like what you already know, but without the supposed drawbacks of the Dyna-Ross based comps (according to the designer of the Engineer's Thumb).

If you're looking to play some country or twangier genres, the Byrdhouse will jangle your jingles, but it is based on the Dyna-Ross paradigm.

If you want some smooth subtle colouration, then definitely try an optical comp such as the Diamond (alas, no Diamond clone from PedalPCB just yet, but available in PCB form at Aion and Lectric-FX or build on vero/perf).

Compression as effect itself, build the Creamery and it will milk every bit of your playing.

For low noise, low colouration and working well as a limiter, build the Constrictor for great compulations

PS: in addition to the Ovnilab link MichaelW gave (an excellent resource), here's some more reading to do on the comps you're considering:
Hey thanks for the thorough and well written response.

I like to refer to myself as an annoy my wife and kids player. I play at home, once in a blue moon I play with a friend of two. Actually hadn’t really played much for the last 20 years. Got back into it back in March April kind of born out of I was drinking too much and keeping myself busy helps me tame it down. Played in a band in high school, high school jazz band, band for the college straight jazz choir etc.

Kudos for the Reggie wooten reference. I go see victor anytime he’s doing a show within 100 miles. Wish he came to the west coast more. Saw him and Steve Bailey doing a show in like 96 for this bass extremes clinic thing they were doing in Redlands California it was phenomenal probably still my favorite show I’ve seen.

Anyways I’m mainly interested in more sustain and to just do a little taming when I’m playing clean mostly. And to explore the effect some more to see what it can offer me as I said I haven’t played with it much.

Back