Indoor bench question

I just have a straight up desk fan blowing the fumes away. The room I use is pretty big (20'x20') and I don't solder for hours on end. Probably not the safest thing to do, but oh well.

I’m sure I will suffer dearly for the hobby, but I am at a “hold breath and wave hand” dissipation method. Been meaning to just build a little exhaust fan from old computer parts, but that’s not as fun as building pedals.

That's my problem with these fans. Mine works well as long as my iron is within 10-15cm, which it never is...

My solution was simple. Old computer fan. Make it telescopic and put a carbon filter on it. Goes wherever the action is and is quite effective. Added bonus of the only time I used quick connects in the hobby (not true I did once in one build and it wasn't for me). View attachment 19342
Hoooooooly crap !

I got one of those big fans but never use it because it's noisy as hell :/ but I am gonna make me one of those diy ones for sure ! I got plenty of big filter I could cut up too !!! Thanks for sharing !

I just have a straight up desk fan blowing the fumes away. The room I use is pretty big (20'x20') and I don't solder for hours on end. Probably not the safest thing to do, but oh well.
This is my current method. no one complains about fumes or smell in the garage

I solder next to an open window. With a desk fan blowing across the work area towards the window. I also try to breathe out when fumes are likely.

Whatever method you choose, you should have air pulled away rather than blown onto your soldering. There’s a non-zero chance of thermal shock to joints. Same reason why you shouldn’t blow on a solder joint while it’s cooling.

Back