HELP! Jfet Help Please - Solved

BuddytheReow

Breadboard Baker
Hey all,

I took some time this evening to work on a jfet circuit. See below schematic. My general understanding is that the fet needs half the input voltage to work. The schematic calls for a 100k trim pot but I needed a 2m trimmer to get the input down to 4.5v. The sound is very splatty and doesn’t sound at all like it’s supposed to. The signal dies off almost immediately too. I tried with a j201 and now a 2n5457. The pinout in the pic is GSD read left to right. Can someone please help? There’s gotta be something stupid I’m missing. I took out the 68k resistor and put in a 100n coupling cap. The output cap is also 100n.

1642377711117.png

Attachments

• 19F71071-6214-4B98-BF3A-DB50C9504827.jpeg
    19F71071-6214-4B98-BF3A-DB50C9504827.jpeg
    311.8 KB · Views: 10
Looks like your drain and source are reversed.

Or did you mean "left to right" in the picture? (the FET is facing the other way)

Okay the pinout is DSG, so in the pic it is GSD...you're good there!

where is the volume pot?
the wiper of the trimmer goes to a 22n then the vol pot. The 3rd leg...is the one you want to send to the FET.

where is the volume pot?
I don’t think it needs one. I just want the fet to pass signal the way it’s supposed to. I tried a circuit like this months ago and gave up. I’m trying again and hitting the same wall…

What is your expected gain sir?
Edit: I won't add to your frustration...I've built those and they don't always boost. Some signals are attenuated. The math is above me though. Good luck!

What is your expected gain sir?
Edit: I won't add to your frustration...I've built those and they don't always boost. Some signals are attenuated. The math is above me though. Good luck!
@fig i appreciate you trying to help. I’m merely trying to make a simple jfet circuit. Similar to building an lpb-1 when trying out BJTs.

Reactions: fig
Hey all,

I took some time this evening to work on a jfet circuit. See below schematic. My general understanding is that the fet needs half the input voltage to work. The schematic calls for a 100k trim pot but I needed a 2m trimmer to get the input down to 4.5v. The sound is very splatty and doesn’t sound at all like it’s supposed to. The signal dies off almost immediately too. I tried with a j201 and now a 2n5457. The pinout in the pic is GSD read left to right. Can someone please help? There’s gotta be something stupid I’m missing. I took out the 68k resistor and put in a 100n coupling cap. The output cap is also 100n.

View attachment 21707
According to the ROG article, you need to measure the jfet and adjust your resistors (68k) according to the calculations with the linked calculator. For example, in the linked PCB layout in that article, it’s a 33k. If you want to mess with that value, I’d start there.

input coupling cap? edit: I saw you already did that...

Try changing R3 to 150 ohms

jfet1.gif

Last edited:
Ok all. I stepped away from this late yesterday to regroup. I did take a long read of the runoffgroove article. @temol I think you guessed right! Once I move the 1m resistor to ground things sounded a lot better. I also calculated the drain resistor needed, put in a 20k trimmer and dialed in it. It finally works!

See what happens when you experiment but have no idea what you’re doing?

Now to mess around with jfets for a bit…

Thanks all!

Back