Lead solder overdrive

bruddy

I built 2 of these side by side. They are a little noisy with the gain. I used shielded wire and it helped quiet it down a little. Is this normal?

Agreed with @giovanni lead dress can have a bearing on noise especially with higher gain circuits

You don't want power and audio wires running close or parallel to each other if it can be helped, and I wouldn't personally braid wires together

If you have to cross them do it like this + and keep them as short as possible

Longer wires have greater potential to act as antennae and pick up external noise etc

I'm sure you know the power supply could also cause unwanted noise if you're not using a good regulated and filtered supply

I agree with @giovanni and @Mcknib. All of those wires can act like antenna. It does help to twist them like you did, but there's still a lot of wire to pick up EMF. Those Op Amps are going to do their job and add gain to everything -- including any noise you pick up. Plus your charge pump can be a source of noise. I've read a few threads on here where people have some success swapping out the charge pump.

In addition to the mess of wires, your enclosure might alsonkot be grounded properly.
That's a good point. That enclosure has a beautiful powder coat both inside and out, but that may be part of the problem. Ultimately, you want that enclosure to be grounded so that it will act like a faraday cage and shield the electronics inside. You might want to sand it down on the inside where one of your 1/4" jacks goes through the enclosure.

The bom on the lead solder should be changed to lt 1054 for the charge pump. I have been chasing noise for a while and that finally solved it. I built 2 side by side and they were both the same way.

The bom on the lead solder should be changed to lt 1054 for the charge pump. I have been chasing noise for a while and that finally solved it. I built 2 side by side and they were both the same way.
many of us have used TC1044SCPA as specified without issue on this build.
the great thing about using sockets in these builds is that you can use whatever IC you want :)

e.g. i've had builds that specified a ICL7660S, and it made noise, so i tried a TC1044SCPA, and that solved it.
shit happens I guess.

if you managed to solve the problem, i'd call it a win

many of us have used TC1044SCPA as specified without issue on this build.
the great thing about using sockets in these builds is that you can use whatever IC you want :)

e.g. i've had builds that specified a ICL7660S, and it made noise, so i tried a TC1044SCPA, and that solved it.
shit happens I guess.

if you managed to solve the problem, i'd call it a win
Totally, I had to ground a few things but it all worked out in the end.

LT1054CP? IP? What have you used? Great to know It. If It works, is good to know It. Thank you very much
Sorry for the vague info. It works to a degree. Lt1044CP and 1054CP The pedal cuts out with the gain at noon or higher. If anyone has voltages, that would be helpful. Only sub was 8M for an 8M2.

Back