Lectric-FX Flintlock Flanger (A/DA Flanger)

benny_profane

This thing is incredible. It's an extremely versatile modulation circuit capable of delivering hollow pipe and jet engine flanger sounds as well as subtler flanger movement. Beyond flanger, lush chorus, vibrato, percussive tremolo, and a pseudo-phaser can be dialed in. Removing the LFO allows the pedal to be used as a really interesting notch filter. In short, a knob turner's dream. Highly recommend this build for anyone considering it.

The circuit board is densely packed, but well-designed and easy to populate. The Lectric crew did a great job here! There's no wasted space on the board (or within the 1590BB enclosure). The calibration process rather involved (even by BBD standards), and range parameters are a bit too sensitive for the single turn resolution trimmers—a multi-turn trimmer would make calibration easier—but it's doable with the 3362p trimmers with patience.

The interaction between the MANUAL / RANGE / SPEED controls is extremely interesting. The THRESHOLD control helps deal with some of the noise inherent to the circuit while adding dynamics to the response.

When I was picking out the color palette, this combination reminded me of some of @Bio77's builds. I took a cue from some of his builds and used a similar typeface. @thewintersoldier provided guidance with the board mounting. (Thanks again for the help guys!) I'm not sure if I'm set on the knobs.

Check it.

Last edited:
Holy crap! Epic build! The guts look so sharp, it's like a software rendering. The enclosure came out great.

Where can I get a Fred Perry 3PDT board? Is that cap for ramped on effect?
Thanks! I made that bypass board. (The Fred Perry similarities were unintentional—it’s an olive branch laurel.) the cap is there so that the LED fades out when bypassed.

Reactions: fig
Thanks! I made that bypass board. (The Fred Perry similarities were unintentional—it’s an olive branch laurel.) the cap is there so that the LED fades out when bypassed.
That's cool. I've got one that MB did in my stash but I haven't tried it out yet.

Last edited:
Just looked at the lectric page for this. I can use a 3207 instead?
It’s designed to work with either chip. The 3207 version will run at a lower voltage (9V). I’m not sure how the lower voltage / different chip would impact performance. I know the build doc addresses chip selection, though.

Yeah I just read the build doc and it says it will work with a 3207 but they recommend the 3007 and that the 3207 may require a bunch of extra tweaking. Off to find a 3007 I guess 🦸

Back