Lectric-FX Old Chap Flanger (EHX Deluxe Electric Mistress)

blackhatboojum

Man oh man, do I love me some analog flanger. This is my second mistress style build and like the first one, I love this thing. Is it a completely different animal compared the Madbean Current Lover? No. Is it different than the Current Lover? Absolutely. Compared to the Current lover, the Old Chap feels and sounds bigger to my ears. The sweep is more open and the overall effect has more of a hifi quality to it. There's also a more liquidy, type of smoothness, to the feedback. If you were to ask me, "Which one do you like better?" I honestly can't answer that. They're both great.

Build wise, there's not much I can say. It was pretty straight forward with zero issues. Fired right up first try and I got to play with my o-scope and signal generator to dial it in perfectly.

Aesthetically was where the real fun was for me. In a recent discussion with some fellow forum members, it was pointed out that I'm not really embracing my brand and location. I live in the desert of Southwest Arizona. Home of the old west, stagecoaches, shootouts, cowboys, shit like that. I should be going all "Red Dead Redemption style" with my builds. Well... They're absolutely right and I should be. That's where the inspiration for my graphic comes in.

7BCAFD83-F991-4124-8EB2-8F30572D459D.jpeg
38D12EA8-A3C0-4927-B8BE-835FF19D69D4.jpeg

I'm going to have to try this one. I've got the madbean one to build as well. I actually got the PCB Guitar Mania version to work, and it's pretty much lived on my board, but I'm betting both of those boards would be substantial upgrades.

I'm going to have to try this one. I've got the madbean one to build as well. I actually got the PCB Guitar Mania version to work, and it's pretty much lived on my board, but I'm betting both of those boards would be substantial upgrades.
Just the fact that you’d be purchasing a verified layout and board is an upgrade. Shit! Did I say that out loud? Anywho, you can’t go wrong with the current lover or old chap. They both sound great, and have they’re own flavor. The most important difference is that the Old Chap requires 18v.

That looks very clean. Tasty graphics and that red wire look absolutely sinister with the black boards. I'd be curious to compare the two circuits, I got the impression that the 18v Deluxe was a different animal.

That looks very clean. Tasty graphics and that red wire look absolutely sinister with the black boards. I'd be curious to compare the two circuits, I got the impression that the 18v Deluxe was a different animal.
Thanks for the kind words. I’ve actually spent various parts of my day comparing the two. It’s not a completely different animal but there’s definitely a difference. If I had proper recording gear I would do a comparison video but, just using my iPhone camera in the room doesn’t capture it. The 18v deluxe just feels and sounds bigger.

Back