Long 6/32 screw broke off in powder-coated enclosure hole, stuck

xefned

I normally use a screw to clear the excess powder coating inside the bottom holes. This is a long screw broken off. Probably used this screw once too many times for this process because it broke off. (I know I should be using a 6/32 tap, but I misplaced mine.)

How do I save this? There's at least a ¼" of screw material in there.

1717951224426.png

Last edited:
I normally use a screw to clear the excess powder coating inside the bottom holes. This is a long screw broken off. Probably used this screw once too many times for this process because it broke off. (I know I should be using a 6/32 tap, but I misplaced mine.)

View attachment 76503
Reverse drill bit. I had to get a set when I broke the whammy bar off on my old strat as a teenager. I've only ever used it three times in forty years but worth it every time!

Use a jewler's flathead screwdriver and hammer in a cross shape. Then unscrew! Or, drill it out maybe.
That’s a new one for me, I have always had an arsenal of tools to removed broken hardware (easy-outs, deck-outs, reverse drill bits..ect) but that screw is probably soft enough for that the work.

I don’t like the hammering plan. I’d bet that’s stuck pretty tight, and I don’t think a screwdriver in a dent is going to give you enough torque to get the job done.

It could probably be drilled out on a milling machine or maybe a drill press if you don’t mangle it first. Looks like a pretty nice clean flat break right now.

ive done the madbeans plan and it can work. I did this same thing recently and got the enclosure savalgable by drill it out. Started small until i could get the tap in. My holes are pretty wonky looking but there was enough “round” part for threads to grab.

it’s hard to think of another way of extracting this is you don’t have the tools, and the cost of the tools are going to be pretty close to a new enclosure, or even exceed the price. Your best chance is to definitely drill it out and hopefully be able to ether extract the threads with a pick tool or completely drill out the screw and get a long enough screw to grab what threads are left , if you have the taps , You could drill it out to a larger size if there is enough metal for a 8-32 or 10-32. Another shot would be to use a dremel to cut a slot in there and try and unscrew it if it’s not welded in there, stainless has a tendency to gall so that might not be the way to go depending on how much force you were putting on that little guy.

If it's not too tight, super glue(gel) it back together. It only takes a tiny bit. You can't have runoff.
I'd go Dremel second.
Can also try heating it with the tip of your iron before extracting but aluminum is such a good thermal conductor that I'm unsure anything but blisters would come of this.

Yeah, reverse drill bit is what you want. Also called “left hand” drill bits.

Here’s a cheap set:
https://www.harborfreight.com/left-hand-drill-bit-set-13-piece-61686.html

I think 6-32 is close to 9/64”, so I’d probably try an 1/8” or smaller bit.

For things that aren’t broken off completely flush, these pliers can be handy:

I've noticed on the Tayda powder coated enclosures the screw holes can be a bit tight.

Didn't realize the screws were soft enough to snap off. I'll chase the threads before inserting a fastener from now on.

View attachment 76503
Ez out, aka screw extractor. You'll drill a little divot then use the reverse bit into your pilot to get it out. Make sure to tape up/mask to avoid any damage.

Dudes, thank you. These were great suggestions. I'll probably invest in some reverse drill bits for next time.

I tried to cut a notch with the dremmel wheel, but my wheel was too thick.
Bad with tools, I managed to make it worse … (drill bit got off center and I wrecked the whole thing.) Luckily, 3 screws is fine, but this project is for a friend and I hate that it isn't perfect. Oh well.

1718152325007.png

Lesson learned: clear all the excess powder coating, including the screw holes BEFORE building.

Thanks again guys.

Back