Low Volume, Low Gain G2

ac30irons

Hey all, I know bits around this have already been asked but I’m struggling for a definitive answer.

I have just built a G2 kit from a popular and very helpful uk supplier. There was a bit of mucking about with the diodes and a couple of resistors around forward voltage but it’s built. The kit was supplied with Russian D9Ks.

On power up volume has to be a least 2/3s up to do anything and the gain all up or there is little to no sound. Through a clean amp it sounds ok but there is no where near the gain there should be. I would describe it as a bit crunchy.

I have heard of something called leakage current. I’m not very technical at all and don’t really get it all.

Are D9Ks generally leaky ? Is there an Ge alternative I should just be able to drop in ?

Bloody headache this diode thing.

Final update to what I feel I have lost half my life too.

AA143 arrived ! Plonked the 4 in and same issues. Just as ‘leaky’ as them bloody Russian inveders.

So, D1 and D2 - BAT41, D3 and D4 AA143s. Oh, and I changed the sus pot from 50k to 100k.

Result is volume and gain sorted maintaining some Ge goodness along the way. Only thing I didn’t try way Ge first and then Si ???

Compressor, G2ish, Buffalo TDXalike = pure gilmour Gdansk vibes with Silversky (although the low output pickups don’t help proceedings)

Thanks for everyone’s help with this, really appreciated. Next a Mayer triple threat or double up my TDX ?

Back