Mach 1 (Greer Lightspeed)

MattG

It seems everyone and their brother has built one of these. Hard to find anyone that doesn't like it, both DIY and COTS versions. I only did a quick play to make sure it works, but I agree with all the key things that have been attributed to this pedal: ultra transparent, perfect for the edge-of-breakup thing, may or may not even make it to "mid gain" level (depending on your definition). I know it has a lot of overlap with the Tommy (Timmy), and I agree with the transparent aspect of that comparison, but on my quick test play, I do see a bit of the Mojo everyone seems to talk about in with the Mach 1 (Lightspeed).

When I get a chance, I need to do a little battle royale between this, my Tommy, my Guardian and maybe throw in the Red Herring just for fun (the RH isn't quite as transparent as the others, but it's close, and I just like the thing).

The build was interesting... Actual Mach 1 board is small, low parts count, and super simple to assemble. Nothing interesting there.

The biggest issue was that I wanted to use my custom mcu relay bypass board with it, and I drilled the footswitch hole too high (I used a 1590B enclosure and @MichaelW's excellent 1590 Top Mounted Jacks guide). I almost gave up several times, and even though I managed to get it in there, I'm not confident with the way the relay board directly touches the actual effect board. So far it's fine in my basic testing, but not sure how it will fare in the long run.

The fun part, however, was using @SillyOctpuss's great Envirotex Build Guide for my first-ever Envirotex pour. I first applied some fun stickers I got from AliExpress, inspiration from @DAJE (see here). I didn't want to worry about the stickers peeling off with use, so I thought Envirotex would be good for that. I even coated the sides. I think it turned out pretty well - there's a small blemish or two on the top if you look just right, and the sides definitely aren't smooth. But at a distance you can't tell at all, and frankly, being my first time, it turned out way better than I expected. Good enough for rock'n'roll!

Edit: credited @DAJE for the stickers, see Tone Vendor mk 2 for example.

Attachments

• IMG_8582.jpg
    IMG_8582.jpg
    471.6 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_8585.jpg
    IMG_8585.jpg
    443.9 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_8584.jpg
    IMG_8584.jpg
    398 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_8579.jpg
    IMG_8579.jpg
    459.6 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_8581.jpg
    IMG_8581.jpg
    469.2 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_8580.jpg
    IMG_8580.jpg
    426 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
That looks great. You're a brave man doing the sides, often a nightmare to get right so I don't bother and just do the top. Did you get any weird flow marks on the sides or are they pretty straight?

Doing the sides was partially due to laziness (i.e. not wanting to wipe off the top runoff), but also for practicality, to keep those decal stickers from peeling off over time. IOW, I kind of felt like I "should" do the sides for that reason.

As for weird flow marks... there are definitely imperfections on the sides (and even a bit on the top), but it's not egregious. You can see them if you're looking for it. But at a glance, or at most angles/lighting, they're not really noticeable. If I was really motivated (I'm not!), I could probably do some light sanding to make everything look really good.

I've got another enclosure ready to go that I prepared just like this one. It's basically the same story - minor imperfections that are visible if you look closely in good lighting, but nothing that can really be seen readily in practice.

Back